67-69 Barracuda 383 Driveshaft question!!! Help

-

31pickemup

Reaction score
I have a 1967 formula S 383 Automatic Barracuda and the driveshaft is toast. Im having trouble finding another one so my only option is to have one made. My question is does anybody have one of these cars or have information on what size yokes/joints were used on the front and back? Were they 7290's? Someone told me he thought they only put the 7290 on the rear of the shaft. I just want to make sure on what im supposed to have before I have one made.

Adam
440-258-3009

I had one made by Mancini Racing a number of years ago. They had many different levels of quality at the time. The u-joints are the large ones (7290s).

Take the shaft with you to your local driveline shop.
Then they can replicate what you have and make it better if they can.
Make it in AL

I believe Adam is asking if there always were the same size of the joints in both ends of the drive shaft or propeller shaft as the shop manual calls it.
I would say yes although it doesn´t say so anywhere in the books, otherwise it would be pointless to have a stronger link just at one end.

Well problem solved. I found a original shaft. They shipped it out today. The shaft that was in my car was the wrong one. It was 3 1/4 thick and really boogered up. The driveshaft shop said it was one of worst one they've seen still under a running car. One of the previous owners had hacked one end off with a hack saw and welded it up and used small yokes on each end. They couldnt even repair it, Really out of balance. Im surprised it didnt do some major damage to something

You were very lucky to find one. Those have to be pretty rare as far as driveshafts go. Here`s the 411 on the 67-69 driveshafts for 383 Barracudas w/727 auto:

Part#-2852216
Diameter-3"
Length-44.88"
U-joint-7290

4 speed cars are a little different:

Part#-2852206
Diameter-2.75"
Length-48.60"
U-joint-7290

-
Back