67-69 BARRACUDA FASTBACK W MINI TUB QUESTION

-

GARRETTECH

Reaction score
I am considering doing mini tubs. For those with fastback that have done this, how did you handle the inner panel that covers the rear wheel wells. Also, was there a problem with the mounting of the rear fold down seat?

Thanks

I mini tubbed my 64 barracuda, very similar.

Retain all your inner structure on the wheel wells when you move them against the frame rail, Re attach the interior panel and then make a spacer to go between that panel and the quarter panel mounting, You can lower where the filler panel meets the inner panel to create a more contoured factory look,that is what I did.
Sorry,I do not have any pictures.

Thanks 64, that is what my goal is, to make it look factory and retain the back seat and it's folding ability

In my case ,I have to modify the seat frame,thus redoing the vinyl.
You might get lucky in your case.

I was hoping I could remove the brackets and re weld them I. New position on tubs. Kinda why I posted this to see if anyone else did it that way. Guess I will have to test fit

My plan is to install a dart seat. Weld in the structure from the dart. Gonna have a 4 foot package tray. Lol

My plan is to install a dart seat. Weld in the structure from the dart. Gonna have a 4 foot package tray. Lol
I did non-reclining buckets and a package tray. I left the drop down panel and the lower floor. Now its a covered trunk in a trunk.

Thanks bodyperson and 68cuda408. Those are interesting ideas. Sounds like you both didi something similar

I did mine a little different than what I usually see. I took it off of the frame rail and cut some of the floor off. I also rolled the lip of the frame rail over for some added clearance.

1668617101421.jpeg

nice job bodyperson. I made mine using the outer house as a template (for the odd radius) and went flush with the frame rail, made a metal grid (for the deck) from 3/4" square tube and attached it to the wall, covered it in 1/4" luan and "rear deck " material, ran the framework for the seat backs from tub to tub and floor. the rear drop down panel is still there and functional.

20150609_165815.jpg

20150802_170556.jpg

20151221_195640.jpg

20151226_170133.jpg

Thank you davescuda. We'll done! So for the back seat did you just have to relocate the mounting bracket to a different place on the wheel well or was there more involved?

I move the back of the seat forward, I believe it was 2 inches. then I move the bottom seat drilled out the spot weld to the bracket move that an inch forward. Then I extended the big side panels were they screw onto the car out so that they would cover the wheel wells and look factory (that was a lot of work). I extended the fast back floor area forward to but against the seat when it’s folded down

Last edited:
I mini tubbed my 67. I'm not running a back seat, and fabbed up an aluminum divider panel. The interior side panels almost fit the way they should. Just minor tweaking.

rear firewall.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

That's very clean vertex Jeff. Those side panels sure do look like any mods are minimal. I like the divider. Your second pic shows something else I want to do, add a trunk relocate for the battery

That's very clean vertex Jeff. Those side panels sure do look like any mods are minimal. I like the divider. Your second pic shows something else I want to do, add a trunk relocate for the battery
Thanks! The little access panel on the left of the trunk floor is where i fill my fuel cell. It is just a little metal access door with a wing nut to open it. The Aluminum access panel on the right is where my sending unit for the gas gauge is. Obviously, I got rid of my spare tire well and went with a flat trunk floor.

-
Back