'67-'69 Barracuda rear tire size

-

R4Sedan

Larry
Reaction score
On my '67 Cuda I'm getting ready to yank the old rear. I'm gonna put a 8 1/4 in place of the 7 1/4. I have a pair of steel rim's I had built with a 4 1/2 " BS does anybody know the widest tire I could get in those wheel wells. I would like to go with 255/60/15. If possible, I just don't want to order something that wont fit.

Thank's Larry

i have 15x8 with 4-1/4 BS i run 255-60-15 with plenty of room i think you will be fine.
my rear is centered and my wheel mounting surfaces are exactly 57-1/4

275/60-15's on 8" rims on my '68 with an 8 3/4. No rubbing with plenty of room with light trimming of fender lip(removed about 1/2 of it along the top edge just in case).

On the wife's '67 Cuda, I have wheel vintiques Ralley wheel @ 15 X 8 with 26.10 X 10 Mikey Thompson tires with an &-3/4 rear. 4.5 wheel back spacing.
Clearance, 1-3/4 inch to the spring at the rear of the tire.

The biggest tires that will fit in there are 325/50-15. A little massaging if the inner wells is required;very minor. You will have to move the springs inboard with the offset hanger kit.With a lowered car,it will occasionally rub. To run a 4.5 bs the housing/axles will need to be narrowed.
For no wheellwell mods ,but still using the narrowed rear,295s will fit. No cornering issues at all.
With the standard rear, 295s will fit with a larger bs.
With the standard rear, 275s will fit on 4.5bs

295s and up need 10inch rims, for reasonable tire life.
275s need 8s

295s do pretty well behind a 360, for at least 2 summers with moderate driving.Then the tire goes hard, and the grip goes away.
275s do pretty well behind a 318-4bbl;perhaps several years.But a strong360 can run the soft part off in a summer with almost normal driving.After that they can last several years, but the grip is gone.
255s will not survive long behind a 360, with any aggressive driving.
245s can be burned off in no time.I would only put them behind a slanty.

This has been my experience.

EDIT
For 295s and up, on 15X10s and a 4.5bs,You will need a narrowed rear.
I don't recall how much I cut out. But I do remember that it can't be any narrower and still put the springs on perpendicular to the ground-plain,with the offset hanger kit.There was just enough room to install the U-bolts, and then the bearing house was right there.Oh, and mine's a 68

AJ;

295 X 15 on a 10 inch rim and 4.5 back spacing fit in the wheel well with a off set hanger kit on a '67 Cuda?

Our 67 barracuda project has 325/50-15 tires on 15x10 rims sitting nicely in fender well. 8.75, fabbed offset, 5.5 offset wheels. Currently installing 318/727 combo for first Mopar for son to experience! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 648
Did you mini tub the wells?
What is the rims back space?
Tell us about your fabbed off set work!

Back spacing on wheels are 5.5. Nothing done to wheel tubs. Son fabbed shackles. Dad modified hangers similar to mopar offsets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 640
Will get updated photos tomorrow, hopefully before Browns kick-off! Still hanging for New Years countdown.

Oops, Browns don't kick off until Sunday?!. Bowl games have my days messed up, not to mention Tom's Foolery!

Dr Diff sells a kit for $150.00 that moves the spring in 1/2" on each side. Seems like a lot of work for the minimal gain. Is it worth it?

AJ;

295 X 15 on a 10 inch rim and 4.5 back spacing fit in the wheel well with a off set hanger kit on a '67 Cuda?

And a narrowed rear.I don't recall how much I cut out. But I do remember that it can't be any narrower and still put the springs on perpendicular to the ground-plain,withe the offset hanger kit.There was just enough room to install the U-bolts, and then the bearing house was right there.Oh, and mine's a 68

Dr Diff sells a kit for $150.00 that moves the spring in 1/2" on each side. Seems like a lot of work for the minimal gain. Is it worth it?

A half inch is not enough for 325s. The 3/4 inch offset Mopar kit is barely enough.I have about 1/8 inch clearance to the springs with the tires centered in the wells and the fender-lip bent up for 1/4 inch clearance so I can still corner without crawling. The tires were slightly biased to the inside, so that when cornering too fast the tire actually rubs on the inboard side, on which, after beating down the high spots, there are no sharp things to cut the sidewalls; rather than rubbing on the fender lips.

Is it worth it?IDK.
I built my car back in 1999.My car is a lowered streeter, and I wanted to keep it that way. But at every show I attended and everywhere I went guys were asking and bugging me to know how fast/quick it was. I didn't much care, cuz it was a dynomite streeter.Eventually I caved. But to ET well,I knew I'd need to 60ft well. So to maximize traction without SS springs, I reasoned that 325DRs would do it. Plus I already knew that 275s were useless. and 295s were just enough to keep the back in the back while accelerating briskly from a stop,around a corner.(with 275s it would want to swap ends in a hurry, and once going it was hard to recover). So I had to make 325s fit.At the time,I worked at a tire shop so I ordered just one, and started measuring. Even after all the measuring, I wasn't sure it would fit. I took a chance,got the work done, and Shazzam, it fit.
Turns out that 325s and no traction-aider are still not enough, with street suspension.60fts are 2.0 to 2.2. So after just 4 runs the mounted DRs languished in the shed for a long time.
Eventually I started renting them out to other Mopar gearheads, and got some of my money back outta them.
I did get a time slip tho,12.9/106;with a 223*cam.

Is it worth it? IDK.
If I had it to do over, I go with a traction-aider. Tires spinning at 60 or 70 or 80mph, doesn't seem very safe to me. And 2.2s suck.And the offset hangers? I think I can feel them back there every time I get into it.But on the street it's no biggie.
But those 325ssure look intimidating back there.

And as to 295s;They're not much for traction either(remember;no aider), But, here's the thing; if the back starts coming around,a little clutch,or a slight power reduction, and she straightens right out. If I really get out of shape, I just clutch it all the way and the car just snaps back to planted.It would not/could not ,do that with 275s; it just went around in a circle, and embarrased me. Yeah, that's right, I'm blaming the tires..........

Is it worth it? IDK
With street tires:
295s are the minimum, if you like to slide. Nice safe, controllable,power-sliding. 275s are enough for straight ahead semi-sedate driving. But if you put some power down in a corner, you will be swapping ends. In a hurry.
The 295s fit in there easy. I'm pretty sure it could be done without narrowing the rear.And maybe even without the offset hangers.But a custom backspace is a given. I ran out of room with 275s on a 4.5bs.

A half inch is not enough for 325s. The 3/4 inch offset Mopar kit is barely enough.I have about 1/8 inch clearance to the springs with the tires centered in the wells and the fender-lip bent up for 1/4 inch clearance so I can still corner without crawling. The tires were slightly biased to the inside, so that when cornering too fast the tire actually rubs on the inboard side, on which, after beating down the high spots, there are no sharp things to cut the sidewalls; rather than rubbing on the fender lips.

Is it worth it?IDK.
I built my car back in 1999.My car is a lowered streeter, and I wanted to keep it that way. But at every show I attended and everywhere I went guys were asking and bugging me to know how fast/quick it was. I didn't much care, cuz it was a dynomite streeter.Eventually I caved. But to ET well,I knew I'd need to 60ft well. So to maximize traction without SS springs, I reasoned that 325DRs would do it. Plus I already knew that 275s were useless. and 295s were just enough to keep the back in the back while accelerating briskly from a stop,around a corner.(with 275s it would want to swap ends in a hurry, and once going it was hard to recover). So I had to make 325s fit.At the time,I worked at a tire shop so I ordered just one, and started measuring. Even after all the measuring, I wasn't sure it would fit. I took a chance,got the work done, and Shazzam, it fit.
Turns out that 325s and no traction-aider are still not enough, with street suspension.60fts are 2.0 to 2.2. So after just 4 runs the mounted DRs languished in the shed for a long time.
Eventually I started renting them out to other Mopar gearheads, and got some of my money back outta them.
I did get a time slip tho,12.9/106;with a 223*cam.

Is it worth it? IDK.
If I had it to do over, I go with a traction-aider. Tires spinning at 60 or 70 or 80mph, doesn't seem very safe to me. And 2.2s suck.And the offset hangers? I think I can feel them back there every time I get into it.But on the street it's no biggie.
But those 325ssure look intimidating back there.

And as to 295s;They're not much for traction either(remember;no aider), But, here's the thing; if the back starts coming around,a little clutch,or a slight power reduction, and she straightens right out. If I really get out of shape, I just clutch it all the way and the car just snaps back to planted.It would not/could not ,do that with 275s; it just went around in a circle, and embarrased me. Yeah, that's right, I'm blaming the tires..........

Good to know. I'm looking to get as big a tire as I can without issues to drive on the street. I will probably get another set of wheels and slicks when I want to blast down the 660 or 1320. For the street I'm really after the look and I don't want to mess with the fast back interior by tubing. I like the fast back interior.

me too

I heard "without issues".
With a lowered car,325s are a little tricky.The rear end has to be exactly centered in the chassis. Aggressive cornering will not be without issues until you either roll the lips or pound the offending high spots in the inner wells. At stock height you might be OK. until you hit a bump on one side only. At 1inch up I think it might be a non-issue.
I'm at least 1.5 inch lowered.
With 295s there are no issues whatsoever. You can push hard. You can even jump it. Don't leave the skidplate in the shed......

There is nothing looks more bad *** than a 67-69 Barracuda with big ol meats under the rear. This was my last 67 SG Barracuda with 33x16x15 slicks.

67-1.jpg

This is the front hanger I modified to move springs in for 43 inch center. This allows offset rims to clear 325 tires. I also have +1 inch spring arch, clearing outside lip without issue of tires sticking past body.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 470
This is the front hanger I modified to move springs in for 43 inch center. This allows offset rims to clear 325 tires. I also have +1 inch spring arch, clearing outside lip without issue of tires sticking past body.

43" is original. Do you mean 42"?

-
Back