67-69 reproduction top latches

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
I bought the reproduction top latches from Year One years ago when they lowered the price to like $50 a piece. Now just getting around to installing them. Has anyone had any fitment issues with these?

My original ones drop right in place. The new ones don't. I got the DS one fitting and installed but I had to oval out a hole so it lined up with the threaded hole in the header. I had to shorten two of the bolts because the new latches aren't threaded as deep as the originals. Also, I had to sand down a 3/8 socket and make it super thin in order to get on the inside screw.(the one between the side of the latch and the locating pin) A regular chrome socket will get into that tight space on the original latches but not on the reproductions.

The PS latch will not go in. Even pushing on it with a lot of force, it does not sit down in place. I really can't see a big difference when I compare it to the original. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

I think I'm going to take the angle grinder with a flap disc and sand the inside of the latch by the two threaded mounting holes. It seems like that area is hitting the inner structure of the header and not allowing the latch to rotate fully into place.

Repos are hit or miss. One thing I would not do is modify the car to fit a repo. If I need to modify a repo to fit the car, no big deal.

I bought them probably the same time you did but have not tried to fit them

I got the PS latch to fit OK. I ground down the back side where the two screws go into the latch. I think there are probably slight differences in the reproduction latches as well as varying tollerances in the header panel itself. It doesn't fit 100% perfect but it's OK. There is a slight gap between the header and the latch. It's less than a 1/16" so you won't see it unless your looking for it. The gap started out about 1/4" so I was able to get it a lot better.

-
Back