67-9 Dart/Barracuda Console mounted tach base

-

Surprise67GT

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking and looking for a base for a 68 console mounted tachometer. I am possibly thinking about talking to a machinist in the area about trying to make a couple. Just gauging interest. We figure possibly making them out of aluminum and machining them just like original. Or possibly just also machining them out of aluminum but not following them out like original. Would anybody be interested if I can get them at a fair price point?

F42B82AB-E1B3-4488-B664-2BDC6A7A3A9D.jpeg

6353DAA6-6DB0-4B08-827A-8F2610C328E5.jpeg

9C985A40-0953-45E6-9AC3-FBDD07A2E03B.jpeg

I've actually got one that was made by a machinist. We haven't installed it yet, though.

My car is a stock 340 car, will my torsion bars be enough? any suggestions if not?

Any pictures?

None at this time. It's put away right now, but not too difficult to get to. I loaned the original I had to a guy who wanted one and he had one made for me as well. Then I sold the original with the tach and console several years ago. My son's Dart has a Barracuda dash with factory tach and a Charger clock for his console...

None at this time. It's put away right now, but not too difficult to get to. I loaned the original I had to a guy who wanted one and he had one made for me as well. Then I sold the original with the tach and console several years ago. My son's Dart has a Barracuda dash with factory tach and a Charger clock for his console...
That’s great. I am building a 68 dart GTS and I am putting in a 68 Barracuda rally Dash assembly. I also have the tachometer in the dash. And I picked up a performance indicator for the console. But I need a base. The one I had pictured was also on loan.

Any chance you would want to sell the peace your friend had made? Save me the headache? LOL.

Any chance you would want to sell the peace your friend had made? Save me the headache? LOL.

Nope. Not for sale. It belongs to my son anyway. It's for the Charger clock for his console. The plastic piece is also new so I do have a spare. I also have a spare spring and lock nut.

20211222_145750.jpg
20211222_145757.jpg
20211222_145803.jpg
20211222_145825.jpg

So are you saying that you would be willing to sell the spare plastic piece? I’d be interested.

I’ve been looking and looking for a base for a 68 console mounted tachometer. I am possibly thinking about talking to a machinist in the area about trying to make a couple. Just gauging interest. We figure possibly making them out of aluminum and machining them just like original. Or possibly just also machining them out of aluminum but not following them out like original. Would anybody be interested if I can get them at a fair price point?

View attachment 1715839908

View attachment 1715839909

View attachment 1715839910
I have been looking for this part as well. In my searching I think I have discovered that 67, 68 might be different than 69 ?? Why I think this is because 67, 68 console has a trough or strip (not sure what to call it) running down the full length in the centre of the console. The spacer has two locators (nubs or bumps) on the bottom that sit in this trough. 69 console is smooth or flat which doesn't allow this piece to sit flush. It will rock back and forth. Now maybe my only choice would be to file the nubs off. Any thoughts ????
Thanks

I have been looking for this part as well. In my searching I think I have discovered that 67, 68 might be different than 69 ?? Why I think this is because 67, 68 console has a trough or strip (not sure what to call it) running down the full length in the centre of the console. The spacer has two locators (nubs or bumps) on the bottom that sit in this trough. 69 console is smooth or flat which doesn't allow this piece to sit flush. It will rock back and forth. Now maybe my only choice would be to file the nubs off. Any thoughts ????
Thanks

Very likely correct.

Do you mean I'm correct in my analysis and conclusions??? Wow that doesn't happen often. Lol. Yeah still trying to figure it out. Don't want to file the locator nub thingy but might have to.
Thanks

Do you mean I'm correct in my analysis and conclusions??? Wow that doesn't happen often. Lol. Yeah still trying to figure it out. Don't want to file the locator nub thingy but might have to.
Thanks
Yes, that sounds correct to me. The tabs don't really appear to me to be locaters, but to finish off the groove. It would look funny if there was a gap in there.

Yes, that sounds correct to me. The tabs don't really appear to me to be locaters, but to finish off the groove. It would look funny if there was a gap in there.
OK I get what you're saying that makes sense. Have you seen a flat bottom style ?
Thanks

OK I get what you're saying that makes sense. Have you seen a flat bottom style ?
Thanks

No, I haven't, but I've seen a lot more '67 and '68 models with the tach than '69s. Plus, most of those were in completed cars.

I had a friend make me one after looking for years.

@JimLusk you don't need the riser for B body consoles, just the plastic gasket.

Dart console tach1.jpg

Dart Console Tach2.jpg

I believe the reason for the pedestal or riser, as I'm not sure of the correct term, is to clear the edge of the console as you have two possible positions.....straight ahead or slightly turned towards the driver. The B bodies console is much wider and no clearance issues. Just my opinion and observations.

I had a friend make me one after looking for years.

@JimLusk you don't need the riser for B body consoles, just the plastic gasket.

View attachment 1716037889

View attachment 1716037890
Love the interior color as I had a '67 dart GT slant six, console car that I drove to high school and for a while after. Chestnut brown exterior and same interior as you have shown. Like a lot of others wish I still had that car.

Hey 65Val is the avatar picture the same car as interior shots?? What engine ? And a convertible to boot. Very cool.

-
Back