67 Convert from a hard top?

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made a Convert from a hard top.

I know the rocker would need reinforcement ( or maybe just subframe connectors???)

And the sheet metal / bracing around the back of the back seat and around the roof line where it meets the quarter and deck lid would need fabrication.

I'm %99.99 certain I'm not going to attempt. But was curious.

As I understand it there IS factory reinforcement (more metal) under the rockers on convertibles. 'Course, I think I remember seeing this "fact" on an episode of Graveyard Carz so who knows if its actually true... :)

Last edited:
A B C & E convertibles all have it.

Rockers.jpg

Alan

I'd say you would be way better off with even the sketchiest convertible project than trying to hack a hardtop. Just trying to figure out and precisely locate all the attachment points that need captive nuts and reinforcement, not to mention all the special hardware. At the very least you would need a real convertible to take dimensions off.

At the very least you would need a real convertible to take dimensions off
I got one of those already. :rofl:

Like I said there is only a 0.01% chance I would attempt it.

A B C & E convertibles all have it
I would expect that all unibody cars , Ford Chevy etc would as well.

Had a 67 GTO vert (GM A body) - that was still body on frame and it had a beefier frame as well. Have yet to install it but with my 68 vert I'm doing the USCarTool stiffening kit (minus the torque boxes as verts already have those). I HATE cowl shake. My Goat and my first fish vert (68340S) had cowl shake and going over rough roads or railroad tracks - always kinda' freaked me out. Swore If I had another vert I'd do everything I could to eliminate it.

Last edited:
My doors shut different with the top up vs down. Raise one corner of the car only and the door barely can be opened

If I had a spare beater to use as a guineapig, I'd try it. It could be done, but a practice run would be prudent, especially if you had to undo something you already did.

There is a very detailed thread here somewhere where a guy made a vert out of a 70-72 dart. The car mopar should have made. He did a fantastic job and documented it well.

But 0.01% isn't 0%! How long do you think it would take?

I know the rocker would need reinforcement ( or maybe just subframe connectors???)

And the sheet metal / bracing around the back of the back seat and around the roof line where it meets the quarter and deck lid would need fabrication.

I have a pair of brand new AMD Dart rockers that are welded to the extremely hard to find convertible rocker reinforcements. They are ready to weld on. I put these together for a customer's 68 Dart convertible restoration but he decided not to continue with the project. PM me here if interested.

Thanks, Dan

The rear wheel tubs are different so as to allow the roof mechanism to be stored when in the down postion. Also the trunk torsion bars are unique to a convertible. I would think it can be done but not sure if it would be cost effective .

-
Back