67 cuda convertible spare tire problem

Tires and Wheels (Mopar Hubcaps Too)

1. smaartaass

smaartaass Member

Local Time:
    9:20 AM
    Restoring a 67 cuda convertible. Replaced the trunk floor. Spare sticks up too high and cover board does not fit flush with floor. What was the spare used? I have the correct size tire mounted on the rim. Is this car supposed to have a compact spare? It looks stupid the way it is.

2. krazykuda

krazykuda Well-Known Member FABO Gold Member How-To Section Editor

Local Time:
    Here's an alternative spare...

Emergency Spare.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • smaartaass

smaartaass Member

Local Time:
      Thanks for the help.

• krazykuda

Local Time:
      sometimes the tires are wider than the depth of the wheel well... I had that issue with my daily driver Barracudas back in the day and I wasn't running that wide of tire... Just what came on my stock small block cars (273/318)...

• krazykuda

Local Time:
      What's your screen name again???

• Like Like x 1
      • 69_340_GTS

69_340_GTS Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        10:20 AM
        I think the main problem is that the wells were designed to hold those really skinny bias ply tires from the '60s. An optional D70-14 has less than an 8" section width, and the standard tires, a 695-14 only had a 7" section width.

• burdar

burdar Owen's Dad

Local Time:
        Unfortunately, that's the way they came from the factory. It looks dumb with the board sticking up higher then the trunk floor. Found this picture online of a Dart. I'm going to find a small donut spare so that doesn't happen.
        http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDEyMDA=/z/0qkAAOSwT6pVsSA7/$_1.JPG

On the 340 and 383 Darts(Cuda probably similar) you got a 5.5" wide wheel as a spare. The board doesn't sit flush. If your car came with the smaller width wheels, the board fits.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
      • KosmicKuda

KosmicKuda FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Yep, the spare well size goes back to the early A's. My 64 Valiant came with 6.50 x 13 tires. It's just something you learn to live with. This car has 14" tires now but I use a 185-80 X 13 for a spare and it fits fine.

I've converted to BBP on my 68 Cuda and use a donut spare from a 90's Jeep Cherokee. Fits nicely without that unsightly bulge. Modern radials are so much better than the 60's tires and have not had to use it. I did check to see if it fit the car though. I consider spares for emergency use only so see if you can find a skinnier tire for your spare.

• Dana67Dart

Dana67Dart The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        8:20 AM
        I know this is an OLD tread but...

The spare was just a full size tire on a full size wheel. If you have 5x4.5" lug pattern you can probably get a doughnut tire from some other newer car that will fit.

I found a 5x4" lug - 14" x 4.5" stock steel wheel (from a 67 cuda) and a Firestone F560 Radial Firestone F560 Radial Tire | 155R14 | Coker Tire sits flush in the tire well. The dia is a bit small so if you have any type of limited slip / locking diff you would be best to put the spare on the front and move a front to the rear if you get a rear flat. (pain in the ass but on a dark and stormy night on a road 100 miles from nowhere with no cell service It will get you some where else)

• Like Like x 1
        • jazak5

jazak5 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          My avitar picture is a factory firestone red line on the 340 5.5 rim and the card board panel does NOT sit flush //just like the picture of the dart mentioned BUT although the trunk mat may not be flush //when I fold down the rear seat/trunk panel everything is flat.

• Like Like x 2
          • Mike69cuda

Mike69cuda 66 is the new 17 FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            I bought a space saver spare from a compact mopar, don’t remember which one. It is a 5 on 4 inch sbp. Think I paid $7 at pick & pull. My trunk board sits flat with it.

It is a lot smaller diameter than my tires, so likely be an issue for my sure grip if I had to put it on the back. The center hole is a little smaller, so that could be an issue. I had to grind it out a little to fit the front. The good news is that it is a big enough wheel size that it clears my disc brakes. I was thinking about geting a 6.50-13, which is what I think the spare tire well was designed for, but I was concerned it wouldn’t clear the disc brake calipers.

• Dana67Dart

Dana67Dart The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            8:20 AM
            Pretty sure you are correct on that. I think you had to go 14" with disc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.