67 cuda grill

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of restoring my grill,and have the usual broken bolts.
Where can you get some new ones.

1st is the ones that bolt the grill to the header.
2nd are the ones that hold the insert in the grill frame, that fit in the slot.
Is there a source for these bolts?
20190716_184636.jpg

I replaced all of the perimeter studs with cadmium plated T bolts. These generic fasteners are same as the 67 B'cuda has in the upper and lower deck lid trims. If/when you assemble the grilles with these separate studs you'll understand why factory had these studs welded in place. So many separate small parts slow the assembly.
I needed to replace only 2 of the smaller studs of inner surrounds. I found small button head screws and hand whittled the head to fit my application. My finish to rectangle worked with less whittling and didn't turn in the previously distorted aluminum channel.

I replaced all of the perimeter studs with cadmium plated T bolts. These generic fasteners are same as the 67 B'cuda has in the upper and lower deck lid trims. If/when you assemble the grilles with these separate studs you'll understand why factory had these studs welded in place. So many separate small parts slow the assembly.
I needed to replace only 2 of the smaller studs of inner surrounds. I found small button head screws and hand whittled the head to fit my application. My finish to rectangle worked with less whittling and didn't turn in the previously distorted aluminum channel.
Where can I get the trim fasteners , like Classic Ind ?

How many look like that? I wonder if those 'started' life as a Tbolt, like Dave posted?

View attachment 1715364544

Here's what the head looked like from the broke off studs that were in my '67 surround to header panel. Looks like they may have been pressed in and peened.
upload_2019-7-17_9-12-14.png

upload_2019-7-17_9-11-0.png

View attachment 1715364544

does that mean I get the 68 grille ? ha ha
I might have a few of those, Let me look !

I wonder if these would work? They are used in a similar channel on another car I own.
226-660 STUD PLATE, cockpit molding | Moss Motors
Yeah that's what I used. My first rodeo was back in 80s. I picked them up at local body and paint store. Second and third rodeo I ordered from Mr.G Fasteners / mrgusa.com
If you use these generics in the 67 B'cudas deck lid trims, note that the very end ones are exposed. They must be shorter and get a closed nut.

One more thing... Two different ways to go about this. I can't say which is easiest.
At my third rodeo I had a helper. We pulled the front bumper and the header panel. Bolted the grilles into header panel off the car. Easy access to all those fasteners. Downside is the bolt ears on ends of header panel can scar the paint on the fenders. And when I closed the hood I found I needed to loosen a few bolts again to adjust that body line. Just hand and eye matching the little radius at fender to header panel didn't work.
Adding bumperettes at bumper brace bolts, adding a lamp to front tag mount, some spray bomb painting here and there were my reasons for going this route. good luck with yours.

Looks good Al. Did you snip the little wire tensioners off the T studs? I asked because I recall from my first rodeo, a spot where the end of that wire peeked out a crack between two pieces somewhere. Where grille meets headlight surround maybe?
I forget just how far off standard oversized the OEM nuts were. Standard 10-24 nut doesn't capture enough header panel so I used stainless flat washers and nuts.
A couple years ago I was working on something around here, I forget just what but it was outdoor related. Anyway... It was assembled with some oversized/heavy wall nuts made of nylon. It occurred to me that those would serve in this application without a flat washer.
I never did look around Lowes or Home Depot to see if they were available off the shelf.

Looks good Al. Did you snip the little wire tensioners off the T studs? I asked because I recall from my first rodeo, a spot where the end of that wire peeked out a crack between two pieces somewhere. Where grille meets headlight surround maybe?
I forget just how far off standard oversized the OEM nuts were. Standard 10-24 nut doesn't capture enough header panel so I used stainless flat washers and nuts.
A couple years ago I was working on something around here, I forget just what but it was outdoor related. Anyway... It was assembled with some oversized/heavy wall nuts made of nylon. It occurred to me that those would serve in this application without a flat washer.
I never did look around Lowes or Home Depot to see if they were available off the shelf.

machine-screw-spanner-pan.gif
I used some of these for replacing the studs that go thru the header. #12s , Stainless Steel. A little big I think #10s would have been better for this.
I also ordered some of these , that Dave suggested
Auveco - 12962 - Mould Fstnr 10-24X3/4 Blt

But they haven't arrived yet, I hope to use these for mounting the insert into the grill frame work. They might be to big I don't know yet.

Worked on the other half of grill today, Cleaned , polished and ready to paint and reassemble Hope those T bolts aren't to big

15636625851865492377920321220083-jpg.jpg

-
Back