67 dart anybody interested in restoring?

-

scatpack383

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 67 dart gt, 273 2 barrel car, my original intentions was to tub this car but the more i get into it the more i would hate to cut this car up. the frame and floor pan from front to trunk is solid, the extirior has the normal rust, the dash panel is in great condition, the heater vents and dash pad do not show any signs of wear, the car is rough but could be restored to oringinal, wanted to see if there was anybody out there wanted to restore this car before i continued, any input or questions is greatly appricated.

lots of replys/suggestions will come if you post up some pictures of the car. Lawrence

Hey Scatpack,

I emailed you on your Craigslist post about the engine a week or two ago. Did you get rid of all that extra stuff?

Don
Falls Church, VA

sorry about that don, i did get your email, i guess i jumped the gun a little, i haven't got the motor out of the car yet, i did not expect so many inquiries so fast, i have since taken it off craigs list and will repost it when everything is out, the other thing is, some people want this, others want that, i need some one to take everything in one shot. i still have your number, if you want it all, i will call you. let me know.

I will take it all, if you decide to tub the car out. I live in southern MD and replied to your CL post also. Just PM me here or email me : captbobmd(AT)yahoo.com

Thanks,

Bob

PS: a 273 GT car is not super rare so if you want to make a race car: go for it!

ScatPack, I would love to take it all. I have a pickup and will come down when it's best for you. Just let me know when you are ready. I'll PM you my contact info.

By the way, I've since taken possession of my dart. It is a 67 GT as well. It is a Bronze/Gold color with a matching interior. It's going to be a project for my daughter and I, so I have three and a half years to complete it before she gets her license... :)

Don

It is a sweet car... it just did not speak to me so Donnie B got the ride. He was with me from the start on that trek, drove to Yorktown VA to pick up a one owner (documented) 1967 Dodge Dart GT. It actually was a grandmothers car that was driven once a week to Sunday school... 76k original miles.

It will be a sweet restore. Hope he gets the parts from Richmond, they will all go to great use.

Attachments

• 67 Dodge Dart GT 1-1-2011_001.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 381
Did I see that Dart a few weeks ago at a machine shop in Sterling? Looks like a pretty solid unmolested original. That Medium Copper Metallic is a cool one year only color. I would like to see it stay that color, and stay stock appearing.

Yup, it's the same car. The buddy I bought it from uses that auto repair shop. Doug, the owner, is a nice guy who likes old cars and does good work.

I've never seen good pictures of one in that color with good paint.

I've seen a GT in black that looks good. The fender ridge trim really sets off the black.

I've also seen a couple of two-tones with black or grey above the fender trim and red below the trim. That really transforms the look of the car!

Current plan is to paint it black in single-stage paint. If I don't like it, I could scuff and prep the bottom half and spray it a second color, either dark red or mist metallic blue.

Don

I'm sure the Dart will look great whatever color you decide to paint it. In the 67 Dart factory sales brochure, the convertible shown in the brochure is medium copper metallic like your car. Someone here should have that factory photo on line.

I'm sure the Dart will look great whatever color you decide to paint it. In the 67 Dart factory sales brochure, the convertible shown in the brochure is medium copper metallic like your car. Someone here should have that factory photo on line.

I found a site showing the factory brocure but there were no copper colored convertibles in it.Maybe you were thinking of this advertisement which shows a convertible in a gold metallic color:

Attachments

• 67drtad2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 271
It is a sweet car... it just did not speak to me so Donnie B got the ride. He was with me from the start on that trek, drove to Yorktown VA to pick up a one owner (documented) 1967 Dodge Dart GT. It actually was a grandmothers car that was driven once a week to Sunday school... 76k original miles.

It will be a sweet restore. Hope he gets the parts from Richmond, they will all go to great use.

I know this car. Belonged to an older gent who bought it new at Grafton Garage, now closed Dodge Dealer on RT 17 in Yorktown. He got rear ended and we located the last trunk finish panel from Mopar. About a year after that he got rear ended again and we had to cut 2 GT Panels down the center and install them as the part was NS1. It has been a local car till now. A friend of mine was pissed that he missed buying it as he plays golf with the guy's son who let it get gone.

I found a site showing the factory brocure but there were no copper colored convertibles in it.Maybe you were thinking of this advertisement which shows a convertible in a gold metallic color:

Thats the car. In the 67 Dart brochure, its the same car, almost the same camera angle, but the passenger door is open and the girl is leaning on the Dart's trunk. I have both the ad and the brochure (but no scanner so I can't post it.

I know this car. Belonged to an older gent who bought it new at Grafton Garage, now closed Dodge Dealer on RT 17 in Yorktown. He got rear ended and we located the last trunk finish panel from Mopar. About a year after that he got rear ended again and we had to cut 2 GT Panels down the center and install them as the part was NS1. It has been a local car till now. A friend of mine was pissed that he missed buying it as he plays golf with the guy's son who let it get gone.

You are correct. The car still has the Grafton Garage sticker on the bumper. Thanks for the history on the damage. I knew it had been painted but didn't know why. That may come in handy later.

I work with the grandson's wife. You can tell your buddy that the car has gone to a good home. Although it's a great starting point, with no rust, it did not like not being driven. The interior is falling apart and it has lots of gremlins.

In the last three months I've only put 125 miles on the car. In that time the car has gotten 14" wheels with new radials, a new fuel pump, and new shocks. The carb has been soaked and rebuilt and the oil and filter have been changed. I'm waiting on the ice and snow to go away so I can finish replacing the wiper motor, finish rebuilding the heater box with a rebuild kit and a new heater core, and find out why the radio and most of the dash lights are out.

Then it's on to the interior...

The work is never done...

Don

What part of Falls Church are you in, Don? I grew up in Falls Church (Lake Barcroft), and went to JEB Stuart High School (class of 19.. uh,... never mind).

I'm near Lee Hwy and Graham Rd.

We'll have to link up once it gets warmer. Someone told me about cruise nights near where Little River Turnpike and Columbia Pike join together.

Yes I know the area pretty well where you live. The Cruise in at Annandale that you refer to is, or was, held at Jukebox Diner at the intersection of John Marr Drive and Columbia Pike on Friday evenings. I've never been to it and I don't know if its a weekly event or a once a month event. I live in Sterling and driving 20 miles to Annandale in Friday evening rush hour just isn't going to happen. Especially since we have a Friday evening cruise in at the Chik-Fil-A in the Lowes/WalMart shopping center in Sterling on Friday evenings. The best cruise in for the area is the Saturday afternoon/evening cruise in at the Burger King on RT 29 near the Manassas airport. It usually starts around 4pm on Saturdays weather permitting. I usually try to attend that one. Theres usually a good representation of Mopars there.

You are correct. The car still has the Grafton Garage sticker on the bumper. Thanks for the history on the damage. I knew it had been painted but didn't know why. That may come in handy later.

I work with the grandson's wife. You can tell your buddy that the car has gone to a good home. Although it's a great starting point, with no rust, it did not like not being driven. The interior is falling apart and it has lots of gremlins.

In the last three months I've only put 125 miles on the car. In that time the car has gotten 14" wheels with new radials, a new fuel pump, and new shocks. The carb has been soaked and rebuilt and the oil and filter have been changed. I'm waiting on the ice and snow to go away so I can finish replacing the wiper motor, finish rebuilding the heater box with a rebuild kit and a new heater core, and find out why the radio and most of the dash lights are out.

Then it's on to the interior...

The work is never done...

Don

They never are finished. 3 or 4 years ago it was at dons auto in nn va for a fuel tank and fuel lines. Cool car with a rare color. Good luck with it!

-
Back