67 Dart shoulder harness anchor?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Could someone with their headliner torn out of their 67-69 take a shot of the shoulder harness anchor, maybe with dimensions?

I can NOT feel where it is under the headliner

They are supposed to, they were a factory option

These guys sell the trim

http://restorationpartssource.com/store/Dart_1967_1969_Interior_and_Soft_Trim_Parts_Seat_Belts.htm

They are shown as an option:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ssories/1967/Part 3 Safety Equipment - 02.jpg

which came from:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1967AccessoriesCatalog-01.shtml

According to Allpar

http://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/1967.html

"Primitive shoulder belts were an option; these folded into roof clips but did not adjust automatically and needed to be attached in a separate movement after the waist-belt was snapped in, and then restricted movement once in place. The bolts for these belts were added to each car, whether they were ordered or not, so they could be retrofitted later. Center-seat belts were optional, but again the bolts were put into each car so they could be retrofitted."

The shoulder belt anchor should be directly above the line between door glass and quarter glass. If your 67 has the coat hook in that position you will have to do what the factroy did... Move the coat hooks back a bit and install a belt anchor in its place.

My '67 aint got 'em! My Brother's '67 doesn't either. I would like to see about adding them to my '67 GT. I have a '71 for parts I was gonna pull the headliner back & see if it can be done.
There was also supposed to be an option on the later Darts for REAR shoulder belts too, but I have never seen them. Anybody else?..

I'm beginning to think they don't have the overhead anchors. If you look at the link I posted for the original options packet, they show:

The photo depicts a 'vert, with the belts obviously fastened "behind" somewhere on the main body.

24mzt6s.jpg

But the part number shows the same number for all cars!!! (A bodies) This would SEEM to indicate that the same belt and same anchor is used whether convertible or hardtop

15dxo5j.jpg

The shoulder belt anchor should be directly above the line between door glass and quarter glass. If your 67 has the coat hook in that position you will have to do what the factroy did... Move the coat hooks back a bit and install a belt anchor in its place.

Thanks Red, I'll look. I don't have hangers. The headliner was replaced, so don't know if they were ommitted or never there.

I saw the rear shoulder belts pictured in another forum long ago.
I did own one 67 notchback years ago that had the roof anchors from the factory. Maybe it was a late build.
I have aftermarket anchors installed in the roof of my current 67. I wont install the shoulder belts to them until I complete adding the seat back latches though.
It's my belief that the seat backs should have been latched before the shoulder belts were offered.

Thanks Red, I'll look. I don't have hangers. The headliner was replaced, so don't know if they were ommitted or never there.

You'll feel a odd little bump with one small hole for a sheet metal screw where the coat hook was attached or a larger hole in a flat surface where the anchor is present.

I saw the rear shoulder belts pictured in another forum long ago.
I did own one 67 notchback years ago that had the roof anchors from the factory. Maybe it was a late build.
I have aftermarket anchors installed in the roof of my current 67. I wont install the shoulder belts to them until I complete adding the seat back latches though.
It's my belief that the seat backs should have been latched before the shoulder belts were offered.

!!OK!! So you are saying you have effectively proved that not all 67's came with factory anchors? That may be the key to the dilemma.

I don't currently have the factory seats in the car, they are aftermarket generic "race" seats I bought off Craigs. Very comfortable, a beauauch to get in/ out of because of the high thigh rails. They do have seat belt/ shoulder harness through holes. After I saw the 'vert photos I was actually contemplating running one back behind the left side of the rear seat back

"More thinkin required"

Shoulder belts were mandated starting Jan. 1, 1968. B and C models may have had them as options before that, but almost certainly not the lowly A body. btw, ford and mopar offered lap belts as an option starting in 1956.

I'm beginning to think they don't have the overhead anchors. If you look at the link I posted for the original options packet, they show:

The photo depicts a 'vert, with the belts obviously fastened "behind" somewhere on the main body.

24mzt6s.jpg

But the part number shows the same number for all cars!!! (A bodies) This would SEEM to indicate that the same belt and same anchor is used whether convertible or hardtop

15dxo5j.jpg
Sorry to go off topic, but that picture of a toddler in a front seat, with just a lap belt, makes me laugh. Couldn't do that today.

OK the bad news. I went out tonight, pulled the back seat, the quarter side trim, and the roof trim and looked up in the headliner.

THERE ARE NO anchors.

HOWEVER

I contacted this guy

http://fnader.com/DartGT.htm

who mentioned in his website

"that it came with factory shoulder belts"

said in his email that "as he recalled" they shared THE OUTER REAR BELT ANCHORS.

That statement would "sort of" jibe with the photograph in the options booklet, which depicts the belts anchored low somewhere.

33xdnv4.jpg

Now there IS a hole it the uppermost outer corner of the rear seat, and I could install a gusset plate behind it, and bend a piece of strap to come out. That would, at least, place the anchor much higher, near shoulder level.

And I may just do nothing, I.E. do without.

Hey, Dart, I would seriously consider installing shoulder belts if possible. All it takes is some idiot running a stop sign to ruin your day or your life.

Great thread... appreciate the info. The lap belt in my 69 Dart vert and an abrupt stop the other day makes me realize how much I like my front teeth.
I know some people use the Sebring seats but I prefer the stock/old school look.
Hopefully will eventually modify to fit a better restraint option.
Was lookin at my buddys 87 Camaro vert the other day trying to get ideas...

Great thread... appreciate the info. The lap belt in my 69 Dart vert and an abrupt stop the other day makes me realize how much I like my front teeth.
I know some people use the Sebring seats but I prefer the stock/old school look.
Hopefully will eventually modify to fit a better restraint option.
Was lookin at my buddys 87 Camaro vert the other day trying to get ideas...

I've looked at Mustang verts for similar inspiration. My 67 fish vert is a very long time away from needing any seats or belts so no real study went into it.

Sorry to go off topic, but that picture of a toddler in a front seat, with just a lap belt, makes me laugh. Couldn't do that today.
even funnier is the engineer who decided to hook up a set of shoulder belts like that. One of the goofiest things I've ever seen (and I'm sure the rear seat passengers loved it too).

even funnier is the engineer who decided to hook up a set of shoulder belts like that. One of the goofiest things I've ever seen (and I'm sure the rear seat passengers loved it too).

My first thought was about rear seat passengers, then I thought maybe in the unit body there weren't many places to anchor the shoulder harness. I've been thinking about Sebring seats, but they have electronic control of the belt release. I'm not sure just what to make of that.

On the more conventional side, I found Seatbelt Solutions and Retro Belt with belts that should work for us.
The Retro Belt site is much more informative, but there are still unanswered questions.

(Edit) 67Dart 273 posted earlier this link: http://www.wescoperformance.com/i-3207-retractable-install.htm which is a page of the Wesco site.
Their homepage is at: http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/index.html . Poking around the site gave all but two answers I need to place
an order.

ATB

BC

I had a 68 Signet without shoulder belts, and a 68 Valiant 100 with optional
shoulder belts!!
Eventually the male clips near the sun visors would crack, and then you'd have a loose
belt dangling.

-
Back