67 Dart taillight housing question

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
Attached is a detail photo for part of the RH taillight housing for my 1967 Dodge Dart 270. The chromed part that was exposed to weather for many years looks like this all the way around (as well as on the LH housing). I would like them to look nice, shiny, and new.

1. Can I save this? (I assume that this is pitting and the answer is "no".)
2. If not, is it more cost-effective to have this re-chromed, or ought I just buy new ones?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

67DartRHtaillight.jpg

Buy new at Vans Auto, rechroming is just rediculous nowadays thanks to the EPA

I have the same issue as Hilderbrand. Same year taillights as well. Does anyone have a recent re-chrome price? I would rather keep the original housings and the reproductions aren't cheap either.

I think $250 for a complete set ready to bolt-in is a great price! I don't think you can get the housings chromed for too much less than that.

1967 Dart Taillight Assemblies - Vans Auto
Thanks for the tip! My only question is durability - are these as good as my OE housings? If these taillights will be good for a few years at $250, great. However, if my OE ones will last substantially longer by re-chroming them for $300 (just an example number, I don't know what the real price would be), I'd be more comfortable re-chroming them.

If you ship those to a rechrome shop for quote... Know the process. They will judge the depth of the pits to determine how much sanding is required to make majority of smaller pit disappear. The then remaining deepest pits will require filling and smoothing. You have several different planes, small detail lines in these castings so it wont be nearly as simple/cheap as a less ornate/detailed casting would be. So if the quote comes in at 350.00 will you say, "go ahead", "ship them back" or "just keep them" ? If quote comes in at 475.00... Be sitting when you open the quote LOL
About reproductions... There was a single thread long ago about reproduction door mirrors and the quality of chrome on them. Didn't hold up very well on that daily driver. That particular part does stand out facing the elements so of course ma mopar did put a heavy layer of chrome on them. Maybe the aftermarket assumes their parts wont go onto a daily driver. Who knows?
We can't know how much zink, lead, brass, poop, might be in the Chinese pot metal either. We have to wait years to compare quality of reproductions to OEM.
The parts you have were out in the elements for 50 years. Consider yesterdays harsh detergents and other crap they have seen. They show it.
At 250.00 for reproductions, you will take care of them. If they look great for only 20 years, that's as good as any piece of plastic on a newer car.
And what if someone ran into the back of your car? Their insurance pays for repairs. I expect they would go no more than the 250 for reproductions, even if you had a receipt for the 475.00 you paid for restore.

If you ship those to a rechrome shop for quote... Know the process. They will judge the depth of the pits to determine how much sanding is required to make majority of smaller pit disappear. The then remaining deepest pits will require filling and smoothing. You have several different planes, small detail lines in these castings so it wont be nearly as simple/cheap as a less ornate/detailed casting would be. So if the quote comes in at 350.00 will you say, "go ahead", "ship them back" or "just keep them" ? If quote comes in at 475.00... Be sitting when you open the quote LOL
About reproductions... There was a single thread long ago about reproduction door mirrors and the quality of chrome on them. Didn't hold up very well on that daily driver. That particular part does stand out facing the elements so of course ma mopar did put a heavy layer of chrome on them. Maybe the aftermarket assumes their parts wont go onto a daily driver. Who knows?
We can't know how much zink, lead, brass, poop, might be in the Chinese pot metal either. We have to wait years to compare quality of reproductions to OEM.
The parts you have were out in the elements for 50 years. Consider yesterdays harsh detergents and other crap they have seen. They show it.
At 250.00 for reproductions, you will take care of them. If they look great for only 20 years, that's as good as any piece of plastic on a newer car.
And what if someone ran into the back of your car? Their insurance pays for repairs. I expect they would go no more than the 250 for reproductions, even if you had a receipt for the 475.00 you paid for restore.
All good points.

-
Back