67 notchback resurrection

-

Losi

Reaction score
Hey guys, so couple months ago I started tackling my moms 67 cuda. The car had a issue with the front wheel coming off and the car was acting like a head gasket issue. My grandpa and some guy did the headgaskets and on first start fluids transferred. The car than sat for almost 10 years with the paint getting destroyed. I pulled the engine and on disassembly I found that the cause of the fluids swapping was from a rotted out spot in the timing cover. Engine is reassembled now and my mom surprised me by gifting me the vehicle. My plan is to get the carb rebuilt/ cleaned up or if it’s not a good option possibly getting a new carb. I do not have a lot of experience in the older muscle car area so hopefully a lot of you guys will be able to help out in my rebuild. I will upload pics soon.

Hey guys, so couple months ago I started tackling my moms 67 cuda. The car had a issue with the front wheel coming off and the car was acting like a head gasket issue. My grandpa and some guy did the headgaskets and on first start fluids transferred. The car than sat for almost 10 years with the paint getting destroyed. I pulled the engine and on disassembly I found that the cause of the fluids swapping was from a rotted out spot in the timing cover. Engine is reassembled now and my mom surprised me by gifting me the vehicle. My plan is to get the carb rebuilt/ cleaned up or if it’s not a good option possibly getting a new carb. I do not have a lot of experience in the older muscle car area so hopefully a lot of you guys will be able to help out in my rebuild. I will upload pics soon.
695CAC4D-0E63-4FF1-BDAD-E29639F9A9B5.jpeg

3B761818-B466-4D2C-B138-481A933223E0.jpeg

500251CD-86AE-45A6-8880-1DE3CF7D09E7.jpeg

6D4EAC9F-FF76-4CDB-AC99-E236F7590DB8.jpeg

9766F7EA-F085-40F0-AFE4-EEAC12D38C46.jpeg

44F57C22-1D96-4BBC-974C-87DBE9CB0D28.jpeg

202652AC-B1FD-4242-90CA-5C66D3957B4B.jpeg

946C87A2-F2B3-4049-AE72-09B86E6FFC8B.jpeg

1C87F7E7-5692-4CE5-936E-1348A729C724.jpeg

A5793820-E3D9-4F43-AF66-796490B5783E.jpeg

My plans are to figure out which distributor upgrade to get, carb situation, which front disc brake upgrade to go with, I also need pictures or some type of diagram or so off all the bracketry for transmission as I moved after I pulled engine and trans and everything got put into boxes and mixed up unfortunately so not exactly sure where things go or how it is assembled

Great looking car, one of my favorites! Looks like a really nice setup coming together to go under hood. Is it a 340, and what did it originally come out of?

Yes it’s a 340 and from what I gather from my dad it came out of possibly a 72-73 dart but the water pump replacement to match I got from a 69 dart I believe

If its a 69 water pump it will be cast iron. 70 and up is aluminum. Very cool it's a 340! Depending on what you have for pulleys and brackets, it MIGHT be a bit of a puzzle as the different years of water pumps were SLIGHTLY different sizes.
Good luck, enjoy!
Yes it’s a 340 and from what I gather from my dad it came out of possibly a 72-73 dart but the water pump replacement to match I got from a 69 dart I believe

If its a 69 water pump it will be cast iron. 70 and up is aluminum. Very cool it's a 340! Depending on what you have for pulleys and brackets, it MIGHT be a bit of a puzzle as the different years of water pumps were SLIGHTLY different sizes.
Good luck, enjoy!
Yea pretty sure it is cast I believe that’s the one I got. And I have all the accessory already from what was on it but it seemed a lil wonky.

CFF50551-4F1E-46AC-B044-7F884604D207.png

Yep looks 69 and earlier. Pulleys n brackets can be frustrating, address it when the time comes.
Not sure if you can tell from the pics of the carb but trying to see if it’s a suitable carb, also trying to figure out if it’s better to pay someone to fully restore it or if it’s more cost effective to just buy a new one. I have been told it’s a carter afb forgot what the number was on it

I cant answer the carb question, but it does look like an AFB. It might be fine, but if its sat it will need a kit. Google "Mike's carb parts". Lots of parts at good prices.
Not sure if you can tell from the pics of the carb but trying to see if it’s a suitable carb, also trying to figure out if it’s better to pay someone to fully restore it or if it’s more cost effective to just buy a new one. I have been told it’s a carter afb forgot what the number was on it

It has sat for about 10 years. I know a normal rebuild kit would be fine but kinda wanting it refinished or so. So it looks nice not all oxidized

51429227-608C-43FE-A791-F2B7432D335B.jpeg
Had the engine together sitting in the garage for a little now. Need to mask it off and paint it. Still deciding on a color to do. As far as remounting the alternator/power steering pump is there a nice aftermarket bracket kit as the stuff that was mounting both seemed kinda jank, also with keeping in mind my water pump exits on driver side

As far as brackets there’s not much out there for use with the cast iron pump, I just sand blasted and painted mine gloss black. As for the engine 67-68 has to be red!

7933E293-DD93-4CF4-8614-1F9757855C8F.jpeg

Well that blows my theory of don't make em no more ! HA, Must started repop ing them. Still. Someone will want them.

Well that blows my theory of don't make em no more ! HA, Must started repop ing them. Still. Someone will want them.
The probably bought the mold or so, says it’s licensed mopar product maybe diff metal material

-
Back