'67 Valiant 2-door Hardtop

-
Reaction score
Today I learnt they built these in Mexico. Cool, eh! I didn’t know that. Sharp-lookin’ car; this would’ve made a Valiant Scamp more coherent with the rest of the Valiant line than the rebadged Dart they used instead. Not that I dislike the Dart-based Scamps or anything, but…well, lookit:

ValiantAcapulco67_1200.jpg

May be an unpopular opinion, but I think it looks kinda wonky. Now, put the 67 front clip on a 70-72 Dart/Scamp? That would look good I think!

I think the stance is probably less about the car and more about inept staging for the ad photo.

There's some amazing things going on there! How'd they make it a hardtop?! Cut custom quarter glass and then use the dart 2-door hardtop doors? I'm also eyeing the rear wheelwells....I guess those are the same as all the others. They appear fuller. And is that a '68 front side marker light there? I'd love to see all the minor details and differences.

Looks like the post-coupe roofline with a vinyl top and a bit of added stainless. I assume it was the short wheelbase.

There's some amazing things going on there! How'd they make it a hardtop?!

Well, I mean, they were a car company; they could make whatever they wanted to make. The Mexican car and parts market was tightly closed; imports were almost completely prohibited. So this was all local production.

And is that a '68 front side marker light there?

I have the same question. I'm seeing it on high-spec Mexican '67 Valiant 2-door hardtops, but not on lower-trim cars, so I think it is more likely a round Formula-S (or similar) badge. I don't think it's a marker light; they weren't required in Mexico (or anywhere else, in '67), and there's no matching rear one—the same round front and rear markers we got for '68, they also got for '68, but this is a '67 and I can't find a clear enough pic to tell for sure. I think I know who might know; I'll ping him and see what he says.

I'd love to see all the minor details and differences.
"V A L I A N T" callout on the deck lid, red/blue Valiant emblem instead of Plymouth emblem in the middle of the grille; "VALIANT" callout instead of "PLYMOUTH" on the driver's side of the grille. Those phake fender vent lookin' things ahead of the rear wheel. Local Prestolite electrics (alternator, starter, distributor). Probably the '67-'75 non-US/Canada 2-barrel setup on the 225 engine. The deeper dug, the more found.

-
Back