67 Valiant power steering - what are my options?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I'm getting a 67 Valiant slant six car ready to be daily driven by my girlfriend and the power steering is just ridiculously sensitive. I think it's unsafe to have her drive the car like this so I'm trying to figure out my options here. I was searching through threads and people have linked to this article about firming up the feel of the power steering.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like they are just taking the shims from a slant power steering pump and putting them in their v8 pump. That's great for them but I already have a slant pump so am I supposed to just add more shims and see what happens?

I've also heard that 67 on back power steering setups are much more sensitive than the 68+ setups. Is this true? If so, what would I need to convert over to a more normal feeling power steering setup?

My last option would be to go to manual. Sounds like that's not cheap either with the adapter needed. The (good) problem is the steering column in this car is pretty much cherry so I'd hate to swap it out for another one.

I also want to mention that I'm on a budget so dropping in a firmfeel box or something of that nature just isn't in the cards for me.

Damn that's a good question ESP47! I read the same article, and they make no mention of the /6 power steering. I'd be interested to see what others have done.

-
Back