67 Valiant tire and wheel fitment

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I am intending to do the following to my 67 Valiant.

Front will be 15x4" Vision Wheels (Jegs).
Rear will be 15x8" Vision Wheels from Jegs. I think they have 4.5 and 5.5 BS available.

Here is the situation:

I have fender well headers with a 440 (they are an unknown older brand and seem to be more swept back than the Hookers) which is a good thing.

Rear end will be either a 59" wide Explorer or 68-70 B-body. I can narrow the 8.8 but would prefer not to.

The car will have 3" studs on both ends.

Can I clear the studs and get a 275 on the rear without narrowing the rear end?

Suggested tire size for about 2000 miles a year in the heat for the front? Taller the better from my end.

Thank you for your help.

I can't answer for the front, but for the rear, unless you use offset shackles, you won't get a 275 in there. As far as using the B body rear end and the wheels you're looking at, I have only one question...
How do you feel about radiusing the rear quarters?
I have a 76 Duster 8.25 rear in my 69 Valiant and am running 255/60R15s on 8" wide wheels with 4.5" BS. It's close to the spring and the wheel well lips.

I can't answer for the front, but for the rear, unless you use offset shackles, you won't get a 275 in there. As far as using the B body rear end and the wheels you're looking at, I have only one question...
How do you feel about radiusing the rear quarters?
I have a 76 Duster 8.25 rear in my 69 Valiant and am running 255/60R15s on 8" wide wheels with 4.5" BS. It's close to the spring and the wheel well lips.

I am for sure planning on moving springs into the frame rail, already have the stuff. I think you answered my question for me.

Your rear end is about 56" WMS to WMS. Either axle I am contemplating using will be about 59".

It sounds like springs moved in, narrow the Explorer 8.8 to 56" and run 15x8 wheels with 5.5" BS should get there. The car is kinda rough, and I am a bit handy with a welder etc. so if I need to weld and move things that is ok.

Thank you, I will commence with the narrowing process on the 8.8.

I am for sure planning on moving springs into the frame rail, already have the stuff. I think you answered my question for me.

Your rear end is about 56" WMS to WMS. Either axle I am contemplating using will be about 59".

It sounds like springs moved in, narrow the Explorer 8.8 to 56" and run 15x8 wheels with 5.5" BS should get there. The car is kinda rough, and I am a bit handy with a welder etc. so if I need to weld and move things that is ok.

Thank you, I will commence with the narrowing process on the 8.8.
Dude! If you're handy with a welder and going to go the spring pocket route (into the frame rails), mini-tub that bad boy, get 15X10 wheels and put 325s on it.
With an appropriately narrowed rear, of course.

Also, check with Memike or 66340sedan about tire clearance with the fenderwell headers.

This might be one of those cases of figuring out the wheel and tire you want to run and then building around that.

This might be one of those cases of figuring out the wheel and tire you want to run and then building around that.

My biggest issue is that I need to NOT narrow the rear besides doing the explorer narrow trick to hit 56" or so. I have considered and am not opposed to doing the mini-tub job as it is within my abilities. It's just once I start narrowing the 8.75, I may as well do a Dana 60, and I may as well.... and then I am into this $1500 bucks! Labor and time are cheap, but aftermarket axles etc. aren't right now LOL.

I will look into the front tire situation.

-
Back