68 - 73 conversion

-

440 Mike

Reaction score
I'm installing a 73 V-8 spool type K-member, upper control arms, and spindles in my 68 Dart. Do I need to use the 73 center link, idler, and pitman arms or will the 68 stuff work?

68 will work. There are 3--4 pieces that must all "go together." Between 72 and 73, the studs from the idler/ tie rods/ pitman were reversed at the center link

The center link, idler, and pitman must all go together, and the steering box spline size must fit the pitman

Consider reversing the spindles side for side to put the calipers at the rear. This will require different flex hoses, but will then clear whatever anti -roll bar you might install. And I HIGHLY recommend one for handling!!!

Thanks. Is there any advantage in using the late model parts like better clearance for a big block?

Not sure about that I changed some stuff "all at the same time" so difficult to evaluate

Some more questions:

Will a 68 manual steering box work with a 73 manual pitman arm?

What are the moog part numbers for 73 disc brake a-body lower ball joints?

If my memory serves... earlier models, parts catalogs showed a different part number for pitman arm and idler arm for big block applications. For 73 up there is only 1 part for all engines. So the later model design provided the clearance without "special" parts.

The late model parts should clear a big block better as the studs point down on the idler and pitman.

The late model parts should clear a big block better as the studs point down on the idler and pitman.

Thanks Jim.

I built a DC type K following your measurements/instructions, turned out well.

-
Back