68 barracuda 383 id numbers

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys i am in need of info on 68 383 block numbers. i understand that the ser numbers are stamped in the block where the engine meets the block on the top right side. But for the date of the block should it be stamped on the pad next to the dis? Also is there a chance it could be a 1967 block? i am aware of the date casting in the block on the right side under the ex manifold. i was wondering if there was an other place? sometimes that area is caked with 40 years of oil and dirt. thanks

I have a 68 Road Runner block the ID pad just says 383HP I will try to get by there today and check the block #s

I just checked my 69 and 68 blocks casting number and date are on the side of the block, did not see 383 on the machined pad but have a assembly date. I would think you could have a 67 casting date for a early built 68

Darren do you have the fender tag? if so what is the SO Number? this will give you the date of car build, what are the number on the bottom line with spaces? all other numbers should work within the limits of this number. typical is about 3 months for engine and trans casting, but have seen as little as a couple weeks to a few days even on assembly.

Eary 68s did not have serial numbers stamped on the blocks. I'm not sure when they started stamping VINs.

Jim, but if it is a real early 68 the block casting date should give a tell-tail. At least a ball park of "correct" or far fetched, or not even in the game.
I don't think he's posted the car assy date to even consider if it would even be considered to be a real early 68 build.
I would imagine by the mid/end of Aug 67 this would have been added as it was the law of the land to do so for 68 model year.

I am really close to buying a 68 barracuda formula s 383 4 speed h code car. The owner claims to be matching numbers. So want to be sure on every thing.

1968 383 if early car the vin should be near the oil pressure switch (bell housing rail) later build will be by the oil pan rail, also it will not have an HP on the pad by the passenger head. good luck.

My 68 (which I believe has the original trans and NOT the original engine) has an SPD of 8/28/67. I have never seen anything stamped on the transmission.

Jim certainly not doubting you. Unfortunately we've never been able to figure out where they changed, as some do and some don't. August is still pretty early.

I don't think the 67's have any markings and are non trunion. So they are easy to spot if unmodified.

The last 8 digits of the VIN should be on the top of the block where the block mates with the transmission.

Your block will have the casting date on the side of the block, it should have been cast in either 65 or 66. I believe 1966.

You will have an assembly date on the machined pad to the left of the distributor.

Craig

As far as the fender tag i did not see any numbers matching the vin. Is that correct for 68. And also the guy has the window sticker, it should have the vin stated somewere on the window sticker correct. thanks

correct, 68 vin does not match fender tag, but fender tag does match the body stamping. yes vin will be on Monroney label (window sticker) but they are also reproduced. The broadcast sheet is definitive as it puts all the pieces together. sounds like there may be one in the car? normally located under back seat bottom.

correct, 68 vin does not match fender tag, but fender tag does match the body stamping. yes vin will be on Monroney label (window sticker) but they are also reproduced. The broadcast sheet is definitive as it puts all the pieces together. sounds like there may be one in the car? normally located under back seat bottom.

So the fender tag should match the last 6 digits of vin? thanks

So the fender tag should match the last 6 digits of vin? thanks

No, the fender tag will not match the vin on a 68. The fender tag will match the order/body number.

In other words...... On a 68 the Fender tag should match what's stamped on the core support.

I will be picking the car up in aproxx 2 hours. I might your guys help thanks

Should the core support match the vin or the engine or tranny?

Core support and trunk stamping will match the fender tag.

10 numbers.
The first 2 are the year and the plant, so yours is probably 82: 8 for 1968 and the 2 is Hamtramck.
The 8 and the 2 should also be the 6th and 7th characters in your VIN.
The last eight match the last 8 on the bottom of the fender tag, this is the Shipping Order No.
The first is the Scheduled Month, the next two are the Scheduled Day, (not the actual shipping date, but a scheduled date), and the last 5 are the Sequence No., (it may be 5 for 67 and 6 for 68).
There is also a different 6 digit Sequence No. in the VIN, the last 6 digits.

I got it guys all numbers match. thanks for all the help. I tried to post pics but they are to large. i am doing it on my cell. so i will see if i can email them to a friend to resize them and i will post them. Thanks agian Darren

great. glad we helped.
try to crop them done. that works sometimes.

Core support and trunk stamping will match the fender tag.

10 numbers.
The first 2 are the year and the plant, so yours is probably 82: 8 for 1968 and the 2 is Hamtramck.
The 8 and the 2 should also be the 6th and 7th characters in your VIN.
The last eight match the last 8 on the bottom of the fender tag, this is the Shipping Order No.
The first is the Scheduled Month, the next two are the Scheduled Day, (not the actual shipping date, but a scheduled date), and the last 5 are the Sequence No., (it may be 5 for 67 and 6 for 68).
There is also a different 6 digit Sequence No. in the VIN, the last 6 digits.

The rad support for a 68 reads B8 (Hamtramk 1968) L (Dart, should be a "B" on this car) followed by the SO number. Here is the stamping on my GTS:

Attachments

• SAM_0270 enhanced cropped.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 172
-
Back