68 Barracuda console conversion - auto to manual

-

oldskool

Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda that the previous owner converted from auto to manual (Tremec T5with pistol grip). I was bummed that there was no console and stopped looking for one when I saw the prices.

Yesterday, I got the original console from the previous owner. I said I'd like to have a console back in the car but I can't get myself to ever cut that original console just to fit the stick. He mentioned that at a Mopar show he'd seen someone selling custom console inserts that replaced the automatic plate with one that fit a stick.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I would LOVE to find something like that so I can reinstall the original console w/o having to cut anything.

Thanks in advance.

The a-body console top plates are reproduced. Try classic industries or pg classics

yes they are expensive. Pitted pot metal doesn't restore well so cutting a OEM plate that isn't in great condition isn't such a sin.

yes they are expensive. Pitted pot metal doesn't restore well so cutting a OEM plate that isn't in great condition isn't such a sin.

The top plate is actually in pretty good condition which is why I have the dilemma.

One of the things that does puzzle me is the need for the hump on the side of the console. I don't see why I'd need that on my existing console and hoping that just having a larger opening will work on the plate. Also, I have to confirm that the opening for a 4 speed will still work on a 5 speed.

-
Back