68 Barracuda: temp gauge to max with key on

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I stopped by a friends house yesterday to see his progress on his 68 Barracuda. It's really starting to take shape! He was having a problem though. When he put the instrument cluster in, he got all the gauges and lights to work fine. Now when he turns the key on the temp gauge goes to hot and stays there. It worked before but now it doesn't. All other gauges work fine. Any suggestions?
Those clusters are such a ***** to remove he might just put a manual gauge in. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20130322_143418.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 128
Sounds to me like a bad connection or a bad sending unit. A lot of connections get screwed at the bulkhead connectors

Mike, redfish or 67dart273 will chime in, but Im thinking the internal regulator may be toast, and I believe that is located in the fuel gauge

Maybe chk the connection on the temp sender?? Other than that I would think its probably toast, or bad connection(grounding out??)

The only fault that would send the one gauge to extreme is a short to ground on the sender side of that gauge. Go under the hood and pull the wire off the temp sender, turn the switch on again. If that gauge goes to extreme again, the fault is probably at the contact pin on the panels circuit board. The pins can get pushed through and short to ground on the housing behind the board. All 3 gauges are operating on the same voltage limiter so if the fault isn't repaired the OIL and GAS' gauges will stop operting eventually.
These panels can be difficult to R&R but with practice and a few minor changes in the proceedure it can be less difficult.

-
Back