68 barracuda

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the stock front end height of a 68 fastback ? I have to change the nuts on my coil over shocks, and need to raise it a little more. At the center top of the front fender welll. k frame measurements will be worthless w/ my aftermarket front end.---------thanks, bob

That's not the way that Chrysler measured ride height. What you want measured will be affected by ride height. Best you could do is have somebody measure from the center of the spindle to the wheel opening, but your best bet is to just put the ride height where you like it and make sure both sides are the same (frame to floor).

I would agree with Jim!

But if you are intrested my 69 is at 27" from the ground to bottom of the wheel lip trim. Set to the factory lower A spec adjustment with 25" tall tires.

I would agree with Jim!

But if you are intrested my 69 is at 27" from the ground to bottom of the wheel lip trim. Set to the factory lower A spec adjustment with 25" tall tires.
that's what I wanted, I didn`t ask for advise or opinions. I run 26" front tires, and aiming for stock looks. ---thank you---bob

that's what I wanted, I didn`t ask for advise or opinions. I run 26" front tires, and aiming for stock looks. ---thank you---bob

Cool!

Jim has a a good point in his response. I am an old alignment guy and setting the ride height per the manual puts the alignment of the ball joints and such to optimum angles. It is irrelevant what diameter tire is used per say, just that the lower control arm is adjusted in way that it keeps the angles in spec of what the design engineers called for. The measurements I gave are a 15" wheel with 25" overall diameter. This is not stock!! But with the correct adjustment puts me at 27" to the bottom of the wheel lip trim.

The answer you may not want to here is to use wheels and with factory spec tires and set the height as per the manual. Only then will you have the true "Stock ride height" and suspension angles that are correct!

Last edited:
He's got an aftermarket front suspension, the factory ride height won't have anything to do with his suspension geometry being correct.

And, the factory ride height and alignment specs were for bias plys anyway. With radials and the factory ride height the suspension geometry isn't ideal, camber gain improves if the car is lowered from stock, same with the bump steer (although that's a pretty minor change).

He's got an aftermarket front suspension, the factory ride height won't have anything to do with his suspension geometry being correct.

And, the factory ride height and alignment specs were for bias plys anyway. With radials and the factory ride height the suspension geometry isn't ideal, camber gain improves if the car is lowered from stock, same with the bump steer (although that's a pretty minor change).

That's cool!

It would be nice if he specified it!

Regardless of bias vs radials I would still, and do orient my ride height to the correct dimension of the lower A based on a "stock" suspension. All other adjustments as far as caster/camber follow after the height is set. Aftermarket setups are entirely different as suggegeted!

That's cool!

It would be nice if he specified it!

Regardless of bias vs radials I would still, and do orient my ride height to the correct dimension of the lower A based on a "stock" suspension. All other adjustments as far as caster/camber follow after the height is set. Aftermarket setups are entirely different as suggegeted!
----------
mine has nothing to do w/ what u would do. I want it to look like the stock ride height in front. w/ 295 65 15 drag radials on the back, it sets a little hi in back. my header clearance is ok, but am going to raise it a hair. my aftermarket front end has to be in the mix, which I stated in the original post. It drives pretty good for an aftermarket racing front end w/ home made strut rods added. I added the taller rear tires for a little better gas mileage on the street, after I had it lined up. will get it the way I want it, then have the front end re checked. raising it a little will bring it back closer to what the front and rear relationship was when I lined it up. nothing between the bumpers is stock on this car, w/ exception of the bucket seats, and they have been custom recovered. The front bumper ain`t even stock,(glass). guess the buckets and rear bumper is all that is stock! sorry for the smart *** attitude, but I just wanted the info I asked for, not what every one else would do.

So just raise it then. The factory height has nothing to do with your aftermarket parts, it doesn't even sound like your tires are anywhere near the stock height so regardless it won't look stock anyway. Just put it where you want it.

-
Back