68 Convertible headlight knob

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Got a 68 Plymouth Barracuda convertible, and wondering how the headlight knob comes off. Don't want to take a chance a break it. My wiper and heater controls had small allen set screws holding them, but I don't notice one on the headlight knob unless it's hidden. Thanks

Most switches have a push button on the switch on the top.

Last edited:
You can see the button/spring in this pic.

41UjLbbg1eL._AC_SY400_.jpg

You'll need to disconnect a battery cable. Pull the switch full on, push the release button to remove stem. Don't push the button when reinstalling the stem. You can push it too far when there is no stem in it. Stems tapered point should guide it through the latch pulling the release button in only as far as needed to latch the stem in place.

You'll need to disconnect a battery cable. Pull the switch full on, push the release button to remove stem. Don't push the button when reinstalling the stem. You can push it too far when there is no stem in it. Stems tapered point should guide it through the latch pulling the release button in only as far as needed to latch the stem in place.
Thanks guys. Okay how about the tripometer, and the chrome around where the key goes into ignition. Just want to make sure I don't tear anything up. Trying to take of bottom dash pad now to. Thanks to all.

What about trip odometer? Its part of the speedo and cant be removed unless the plastic bezel is removed from the dash.

I honestly do not recall how the plastic switch bezel is held in the 68 model dash.
Some trip clock reset knobs will simply screw off. Other speedometers will let the stem free wheel counterclockwise so the knob wont screw off. If that is the case, you'll need to remove the 2 screws holding the speedometer in the housing and separate the housing from the bezel leaving only the speedometer in the bezel. Then you can hold that stem with needle nose, remove the knob, put speedometer back in housing where it belongs. At reassembly there is enough resistance in clockwise stem rotation that you can screw the knob back on. There are 2 rubber pieces, one on this stem and one between back of speedometer and housing ( Mentioned just so you know and don't loose/omit one ).
There are bezel nut specific tools for headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, antennas, mirror controllers, etc.., etc... Most of us get by with other tool pushing the nut counterclockwise. Snap ring tool works in some cases. It helps to reach in behind and wiggle the switch body. They all have a square locating tang preventing rotation in the hole but you will find a tiny bit of movement there.

-
Back