68 cuda column help

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello all...I'm trying to put together my column shift steering column after I took it all apart to rebuild it..I have a few questions if anyone has a blow up diagram or know where to get one would be a great help...Another problem is this, here's my backup switch assembly, I think:

IMG_0484.jpg

And I know it mounts here:

IMG_0485.jpg

But if you look at my column there is a hole that something sticks out I guess that activates the switch. And when I took it apart, it didn't have nothing there, so I was already missing it...

Here is a pic where I think something should go in this hole to activate the switch:

IMG_0486.jpg

Any Ideas on what is looks like or where to get it? And why the heck would it be missing in the first place? Or do I have it all wrong and maybe its under that dash or something? I really don't know, but a blow up diagram would really help me. I looked in the Haynes '67-76 book, but it doesn't cover this specific column...

This is kinda holding me up to put it all back together...I'd hate to say the heck with it and just assemble it the way it is, because then I wouldn't have reverse lights....any ideas???

That appears to be a column mounted backup light switch for cars without consoles. When I looked at my parts manual it shows on a couple of columns. If the transmission has the three prong neutral safety switch installed the backup lights may have been running off of it which would expalin why the rest of the parts are not there.

You are missing the little plastic rod that clips into that hole. Unless someone has an old column laying around, it may be really hard to find one. Being it is plastic, breakage is common occurrence. I assume you may be able to make something to stick out the hole. Could you possibly tap the hole and install a bolt or something to use for your trigger?

I was trying to locate my old pin since I converted my column over to a floor shift. I could not find it, however, I did take a good look at my column (still out of the car). It looks like there is enough meat there to maybe get a thread or two started with a tap and then JB Weld a short bolt in the hole (perpendicular to the hole). Cut off the head of the bolt where it moves the switch (mine was approximately1"- 1 1/4").

Be careful about moving the shifter with it out of the car. That is how those pins were broken off since the travel of the lever is further than the opening (pin would hit the side and break off). Let me know if I can assist you in any other way.

I will take some pics for you on my 67 Valiant column tonight. See if that could help you out. As you know I am into this as well. And that part of the steering column is not yet disambled. So it should be as it left the factory.

not anymore...i have my column all together and installed, BUT if you can post it that would be cool so i can use it for future reference...

-
Back