68 Dart blower motor identification

-

gdbuick

Reaction score
Hello,
As I bought this car used I'm still learning about it. I ordered rock auto blower motor for a non ac car AC 15-81242 as my motor spins really tight and a new heater core as I have not had heat ever, it's been bypassed. I know the picture didn't look right but I took a chance and ordered it which didn't work out. I thought maybe the motor installed inside the motor case but that's not how it works. It appears I need the motor for an AC car from the rock auto website as the picture shows the three bolt motor flange four seasons 35563. I was under the assumption I had a non ac car but the car was from California originally so that maybe where I went wrong. Can anyone confirm from my blower picture that I have an AC car blower/motor setup? I also need to find a better squirrel cage as mine is pretty warped scrapping the case. Signs inside my whole heater case that people have been playing in there before.
68 heater.jpg
blower motor wrong.jpg
blower motor ac.jpg

According to that picture your car is an A/C car, how didn't you know that with the switches you have on your dash?

According to that picture your car is an A/C car, how didn't you know that with the switches you have on your dash?
Ok thanks. I know that’s what I was thinking when I typed this I would look at the switches when I got home.

A/C cars have vacuum operated push switches while non-A/C cars have a slider.

97B8FF32-0C20-4F85-B08B-51CE36A77D19.jpeg
Interesting I’m not sure what I have. I know there is the up and down fan switch and slider levers connected to cables to the blower box I took down.
Well I was expecting to see an AC indicator /switch of some sort in the dash side but I didn’t see anything like what I was expecting to see. Maybe I have a mix match of parts. Cables from sliders and plug for fan.

Somebody swapping stuff thru the years likely hence my confusion ordering the motor.
I like the smaller blower motor for non ac cars to have more clearance for my 383 valve covers. I know there is a blower mod thread too to get more room. I was planning my next engine to be a 383 instead of the taller 440 and slightly heavier motor. I will have to research more what I have for heater parts non ac heater setup versus ac. I thought something was weird when I dropped the heater box there was a three prong electrical plug not attached right where the fan resisters are and there was two other wires for the resister. The way it was wired it could not run three speeds only high resister bypassed or low thru the resister. Again likely a mismatch of parts thru the years. Not a big concern we only need heat to extend drivers season.

The issue will be changing over the firewall to use the non-A/C system as you have to weld in or figure out a way to install the sheetmetal that the motor uses for the majority of it's mounting!

-
Back