'68 Dart Convertible Stuff

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
So I just got my car and I need some answers. My '68 convertible is missing the bottom windshield trim and I'm also wondering about availability of other trim pieces for this car. Also, the carpet around the center console is a separate piece, is it supposed to be like this? Additionally, I noticed that the drivers side window has a little hole in the upper right hand corner that is noticable if the window tilts a little towards the rear of the car and pulls away from the track's channel; I'm guessing that something hooks into the hole? Finally, is the rear snap-in piece (looks like vinyl) that separates the back seat from the trunk (I don't know the technical name) available from any of the Mopar parts people?

Should be a little T clip that goes in that whole to hold the window in the frame. You can get the well liner from the resto houses.

How about the bottom piece of windshield trim, and the windshield; are they available?

Best route is to buy the kit from Year One for the forward glass guides.
We can talk you through the install.

How about the bottom piece of windshield trim, and the windshield; are they available?

The best I can tell, the 68 A Body Verts, used a special plastic insert into the lower windshield trim. They want huge money for it, that I am not going to pay, so I just put some of the 65 Barracuda rear window plastic in mine.

I did pay big $$ for the stainless piece that goes on a 69, but our cars don't have the clip provisions to retain it, even though the outer trim pieces fit it perfectly.

I had a glass shop come out and install a new windshield a couple years ago, after getting a crack in mine, no problem with availability then.

Best route is to buy the kit from Year One for the forward glass guides.
We can talk you through the install.

Got it.....I'm assuming that since I see the little hole and have to adjust the window (just a bit) into the frame, that I'm missing the T clip, or is it possible that the T clip is still in the frame but just came undone?

The best I can tell, the 68 A Body Verts, used a special plastic insert into the lower windshield trim. They want huge money for it, that I am not going to pay, so I just put some of the 65 Barracuda rear window plastic in mine.

I did pay big $$ for the stainless piece that goes on a 69, but our cars don't have the clip provisions to retain it, even though the outer trim pieces fit it perfectly.

I had a glass shop come out and install a new windshield a couple years ago, after getting a crack in mine, no problem with availability then.

O.K., so mine has no molding whatsoever. The only thing visible on the outside bottom of the windshield is the rubber weatherstrip. So, do I need one piece, which is a plastic insert that is simulated to look like chrome/stainless, or do I need the plastic insert plus another piece of molding that fits over and snaps to it? Sorry, but I'm a little confused about the whole plastic thing. Thanks.

Got it.....I'm assuming that since I see the little hole and have to adjust the window (just a bit) into the frame, that I'm missing the T clip, or is it possible that the T clip is still in the frame but just came undone?

The guides are 2 piece followers with a tiny steel pin through They fit fairly snug in the channel . There is also a felt covered plastic edge cap. Anyway...
You've probably noticed scars on the quarter glass edge where stainless hits stainless if you close the door while the window is down.
The glass has to come out the top of the frame to fix it. Short cuts equal wasted time and/or broken glass. I will lift the vent window assembly a couple inches rather than remove it completely. That is a "Dont walk away !" shortcut in itself. If the door were to be push near closed while the vent window is lifted... you dont want to see the results.

The guides are 2 piece followers with a tiny steel pin through They fit fairly snug in the channel . There is also a felt covered plastic edge cap. Anyway...
You've probably noticed scars on the quarter glass edge where stainless hits stainless if you close the door while the window is down.
The glass has to come out the top of the frame to fix it. Short cuts equal wasted time and/or broken glass. I will lift the vent window assembly a couple inches rather than remove it completely. That is a "Dont walk away !" shortcut in itself. If the door were to be push near closed while the vent window is lifted... you dont want to see the results.

Anywhere I can get an exploded view that shows how it works??

-
Back