68 dart convertible top install ?

-

68 gts ragtop

Reaction score
has anybody out there had a problem putting on a new convertible top. it keeps getting wrinkles at the sides towards the back, any advice would be nice, tks

has anybody out there had a problem putting on a new convertible top. it keeps getting wrinkles at the sides towards the back, any advice would be nice, tks

That happens sometimes when it's cold out ..... When it gets hot out .... They go away ....

The Dart 019.jpg

IMO...a vinyl convertible top should not be put down when it is less than 70 deg and it should be in the sun to warm it before putting down.

One thing my car had on one side when I got it and the other was broke was a small wire to push the sail panel out to help the fold process and abrasion.

I only had the car on the road 6 months and that was over the winter when I noticed a small hole in the sail panel. They did not reinstall the wires (I made one to replace the broken one) said it pushed out on the top and you could see it. I have seen them on other cars, but could not get any info from the factory on them. My guess it was a TSB type repair to keep from the tops getting damaged when new. they bolt on the the 2 screws on the frame tack rail

I have made new ones and now have them installed on my car (lost the others after he didn't install with top) They seem to work well. Don't know if it would help on the wrinkles since I have a cloth top.

lowIMG_0739.JPG

not my car but the one I took the wire off of for a pattern to make more

0000sailwire.jpg

if you have a convertible 67~69 Dart does it have a wire like this?

0000sailwire.jpg

-
Back