68 dart gt convertable wont go up?

-

armillotti

Reaction score
Hello the top on my 68 dart goes down fine but it wont go up? am I low on fluid? if so how and where do I fill it? thanks

I will have to look could it possibly be low on fluid? where do I fill it? thanks

If it's like an early A, you'll need to pull the back seat to access the pump. It's held in this recess on the seat back support bracing with 4 rubber grommets, Pop it out of there - on the tank you'll find the fill plug. On the early A they specified Dextron - check your owner's manual for whatever it calls for. Add some fluid then raise and lower the top, filling as needed the pump reservoir. Try not to overfill as the fluid has no place to go. Hope this helps!

My recollection is that it is a closed system and the fluid to lower the top is shifted from below the cylinders to above the cylinders so If it goes one way it should go the other. There are two check balls in the pump and perhaps one is not sealing properly. I'm sorry I don't know the fill procedure but i do have a shop manual at home and if no one answers you before I get home Ill look it up and the trouble shooting part too.

By the way has the system been re-tubed or removed and reinstalled?
when you put it up ( manually I assume) does it go up easily - no binding?, has the wiring been touched?
when the switch is pushed to raise does the pump strain or sound different than it does when it is lowered.

You can also access it from the trunk, with top up lift well liner. but with the rear seat removed probably easier to access.

I have a 67 Barracuda, and just filled my reservoir tank this week. I had pulled the back seat and rear inner quarters out because I also had to replace the driver's side cylinder pump or whatever you call it. (makes the top go up and down) Anyway, yes if you go through the trunk you can see the motor, sits in the middle right under the liner.

My fill cap was a slotted screw on the passenger's side of the pump. I took a very narrow four foot piece of rubber hose and attached a very small funnel to it. I held it high and gravity feed the fluid. Fluid for mine was Automatic Transmission Fluid, any brand with Dextron. Anyway when fluid runs out the fill hole that's all you need. Leave the fill hole screw off and run your top up and down three or four times to bleed the system and fill the cylinders. Fill your reservoir again, put the fill cap screw in, and hopefully that's it.

If it continues check the vert motor, or you might have a bad, or leaky cylinder. Check your carpet by your rear quarters in front of your back seat for red looking ATF stain or smell.

My 67 Dart has the original fluid (and still works) and it is clear. Not sure about using trans fluid.

here are two of the pages of my OE 1967 Dart, Coronet, Charger Shop manual. The AQ-ATF Suffix "A" seems to be up for debate as to what replacement to use in many fourms about that ATF I found no consistent answer

I can scan more pages but none talk about your issue only the fit of the top. and testing the electrical / pump motor ( basic troubleshooting stuff)

Convert top page 1.jpg
Convert top page 2.jpg

-
Back