68 dart vin location

-

hosehead

Reaction score
So I just bought a 68 dart that is all original. The car was last registered in Arizona. It seems that the state of kalifornia is asking me to show TWO locations on the car that show the vin. The dash is obviously the first but the fender tag, radiator support and trunk lip all have the sequential and not the vin. I need to get a title for the car and can't find the vin anywhere else. The motor is a slant six and I can't find it there. Is the vin on a 68 on the dash only????? Thanks guys!:prayer:

They are nuts. There aren't two places on any 1968 mopar, dash only. Tell them to look at the data plate, and match the SON to the body. that is how it was done. I should clarify that some engines had the last eight of the VIN on the block, but cars built prior to 1 Jan 1968 was done sparingly, as not all plants were doing that. In any event, it shouldn't matter. Many cars from 68' no longer have the original engine.

They are nuts. There aren't two places on any 1968 mopar. dash only. Tell them to look at the data plate, and match the SON to the body. that is how it was done.

Thanks! And that's what I thought. Geez, kalifornia is annoying........

The even stupider part is that I HAVE the original title. But since it's been out of commission for so long and it's from out of state, they won't register it as is. :wack:

The even stupider part is that I HAVE the original title. But since it's been out of commission for so long and it's from out of state, they won't register it as is. :wack:

Yeah, isn't california great? lol, this state and it's government is:finga:

So what are you going to do?

Believe me, I know!
I bought a Demon In San fransisco last week, and am preparing to have it shipped to Nebraska. Titiled in owner #1, signed off to buyer. No transfer of title, bill of sale to buyer #2. My state freaked, but it is legal in California. here it is jumping titles, But in California, the bill of sale is also a transfer statement. That is liberal, why would they hassle you because the title is old? That is weird.

I went through the same think in CT.
look on the back of the motor near the bell.

only one vin on 68 cars and thats the dash tag
some on the motor and trans, I think that is only 1/2 year

I also have the build sheet with the vin and von and taking that with the title to triple A. I guess we'll see what happens. :banghead:

The car is sweet too. Bought it from moparbrad here on FABO. I love this thing. Zero rust! Thanks Brad!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 204
Go to the main office of motor vehicle and ask them to show you were the vin should be on you car. Because no 68's has 2 vins on the body.

You might be off to the CHP for a verification.

I agree. A vin verification has to take place. AAA is attempting to do this, but they just don't have the knowledge that 68's don't have two vin locations. Either try other AAA's or try to educate them.

Or... just go over to Tony's Vehicle Registration in El Monte next to the Pick A Part and they will handle everthing in lightening speed. I thought you used them once before?

I agree. A vin verification has to take place. AAA is attempting to do this, but they just don't have the knowledge that 68's don't have two vin locations. Either try other AAA's or try to educate them.

Or... just go over to Tony's Vehicle Registration in El Monte next to the Pick A Part and they will handle everthing in lightening speed. I thought you used them once before?

Steve, you obviously haven't been to Tony's in a while. New ownership. They don't verify vins anymore. Believe me, they were my first call. I used to love those ladies that worked there. Used to be no problem......:violent1:

Steve, you obviously haven't been to Tony's in a while. New ownership. They don't verify vins anymore. Believe me, they were my first call. I used to love those ladies that worked there. Used to be no problem......:violent1:

Aw man, that is a bummer. :sad2:

Many thanks to Alaskan TA! I found a guy to verify the vin who is a car guy and he decided that the certicard was good enough to qualify as a second vin location on the car! Thank you sir! I got the slant running real nice today. This car is going to be a daily driver for now so the slant is staying. In a few months I'll be looking for a small block and a four speed! This thing is screaming for it! Thanks guys!:cheers:

Many thanks to Alaskan TA! I found a guy to verify the vin who is a car guy and he decided that the certicard was good enough to qualify as a second vin location on the car! Thank you sir! I got the slant running real nice today. This car is going to be a daily driver for now so the slant is staying. In a few months I'll be looking for a small block and a four speed! This thing is screaming for it! Thanks guys!:cheers:

Awesome, glad you got it all squared away, enjoy your ride, I will be looking for you on the roads here in So Cal:burnout:

Hey Hosehead,

Can you shoot me the info on the VIN cert guy; I need to get a certification on my 68 valiant that's been off the books for over ten years...

Thanks

-
Back