68 dash frame swap?

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
rewiring car. tired of the old, tired, broken rally dash thats in there. and all the other switches that dont work. just gonna make it more simple with a new dash insert from something like redline/or fastlane west with new autometer gauges.
this is exactly what i want...

http://www.fastlanewest.com/store/i...oduct_info&cPath=21_206_48_57&products_id=330

they state its for a 71-up A body dash....so, im thinking, since my windshield leaks, im gonna pull it out, replace gasket, and fix/stop the leak. at the same time, im gonna pull the metal dash frame out, (and to do so, you gotta pull the wind shield out anyway to get to the dash screws)

my reasoning for swapping in a new metal dash frame from a 71-72 A body, will help me with a few things:

-first, that said cluster will bolt right in, and gets rid of all broken gauges that do not work.
-eliminates the key-in-dash ignition switch (all i want is a simple push start button)
-will use a gm style headlight switch
-and any 2 speed wiper switch. (perfect because my E-Z wire kit is based off of chevy switches with plugs already installed)
-gets rid of the 68-only dash pads and can use ones from any other year A-body-69 and up.
-simplifies wiring and splicing old gauges to hook up to the new harness..

so, do you like my idea? am i out of my mind? any thoughts/suggestions, comments? just trying to make things a little bit easier, but it does sound like the same amount of work...lol, just want everything to work nicely, it doesnt bother me from losing the correct factory look, the car will never be sold.

anyone got a non rally 71 dash frame? :D:D

where im at right now:

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

I'd like to see a picture of the 71 dash. Also, if you get it finished please post a picture.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

-
Back