68 Fastback Glass Help

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
I am removing the glass from my 68 Fastback, I have laid a blade against the glass and cut the old gasket all the way around. I can see the edge of the glass when I look at where it is sitting on the interior section of the gasket yet I still cant push it out. Do I need to take a blade around the outside of the glass? I hate the thought of going perpendicular to the glass especially near the edge as I know that's an easy way to shatter it. Any suggestions?

I removed an original back glass out of a 68 fastback. It's amazing how "bonded" the glass gets to the rubber and how "bonded" the rubber gets to the body. I just kept cutting until the rubber got so detached that it had to let loose. Take your time and when in doubt...cut some more!! Don't push too hard or exert too much pressure on the glass, it will come loose if you just cut along the perimeter enough. Eventually you will completely separate the rubber from the glass but it will still be difficult to separate the two. Just keep cutting!!

Treblig

I have removed many old windshields without any breaks. Worst case scenario is if the glass was replaced in the past by someone who thought it would be a good idea to glue the glass into the channel of the gasket.
1. With a sharp, new blade cut all the way around the glass with the blade perpendicular to the glass' surface and just skimming along the edge of the glass. As long as you are careful, you'll be fine. Then, using soft but firm pressure from the inside, see if it will release. DO NOT PRY FROM THE OUTSIDE WITH ANY KIND OF TOOL. If it releases, even in just one spot, that's great. From the place it released work around with the blade, this time angling the cut so that you are cutting fresh rubber (the cutter blade will form an obtuse angle to the glass' surface. Then repeat with the pressure from the inside. If this does not work, see step 2.
2. It will be a pain, but repeat the cutting away of the original gasket on the inside (like you've already done on the outside.
3. I have never used one, bit there are tools with two handles and a ling piece of wire that are used to cut out windshields in modern cars where they are glued in.
4. With a very large hammer.... Just kidding. #1 has almost always worked for me, and if not, #2 should work.

I had the same problem... we got a piece of thick string and found a location to thread it through between the gasket and glass... then we just pulled the string all the way around (we broke the string a number of times don't get frustrated) afterwards the glass separated easily

Back when we would pull these glasses from part yard donors, saving the glass and the gasket,, The gasket was separated from gasket with a plastic tool and wd-40 all the way around, inside and out. Then just get situated inside where we could put sock feet against glass, heels at center line, and push. There were times when rounding up enough old tires to get situated on ( front seat gone ) was a biotch. Who knew we would need a tire tool to pull a window?

Last edited:
^^^^^^

And have some more hands available! Did mine alone and nearly let it fall into the car. Wife was nearby and came running on my yelling. All good in the end.

-
Back