`68 GTS 383 engine removal advice

-

Junior340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a GTS here in my shop with stock 383 manifolds, the drivers wrap around the column making engine removal with manifold a bugger, so is it best to pull column and leave manifold on or?

Remove column, drop k frame/engine/trans out the bottom as one unit. Totally out on the floor in a hour, no scratches, no hassle.

I just did this one that way the other day but that was a complete build.
The Dart I was going to try and be sneaky and just pull engine since all I needed to do was repaint/detail engine and install some top end goodies, no clutch work.
Should not try to be sneaky?

KIMG1451.jpeg

Trying to wrestle it back in, is where the from the bottom method really shines.

Really depends on why you are pulling the engine. If just doing a refresh and the suspension is fine, take off the passenger manifold and unbolt the drivers side and tie it out of the way. If doing work on the suspension then take it out from underneath, done both multiple times.

The bottom end is good but dirty and paint ferd blue and customer want's fresh heads on.

The front end is fresh and also the clutch and new transmission. So he approached it in the wrong order but it done.

I always drop them and do everything normally your are correct 43.

I like the tie it up out of the way idea. Hemi SS

Going back in I go to the bicycle shop and get a bicycle box, and put it over the motor from right to left and when its in place just pull the cardboard straight up off the engine. no scratches, dents or dings.

In and out the bottom is the easiest way IMO. No scratches and full assembled engine minus maybe the alternator.

I would remove it from the bottom, but it's not mine.

We did get it out today through the top with removing manifold driver side as engine was lifted, it was sooo tight No Band-Aids even.
Reverse of this procedure we and you guy's will agree is going to be a *****.
# s matching block even, customer had no idea.

Thanks for input people i do appreciate.

I have an engine swap coming up (smallblock) and every swap I've done has been out the top.
Suspension and everything is good, so leery of bringing it out the bottom. Also never removed torsion bars before, so not sure what's involved there.

-
Back