68 Hemi Dart quarter panels...

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey...lo Moparites.

I'm curious to know why are the rear quarter panels on the Hemi Dart different on a few cars ?
Where these all from the factory as they tend to show now-a-days. Slicks fitting in the rear add if they were made to accommodate 11-12 inch wide slicks and rubbing etc.
Were they"cut" by Hurst or did the factory send them out like that ? Better yet, if from the Mr. Dodge's Homebase of factory line production where the 68 Darts (340 383,/6 etc) fitted with the same quarters ?

Thanks.
MAPS

5E080EA6-9A9A-4A2E-A411-E16194D53127.png
I believe there was three different cutouts used on these cars. The first pattern was the smallest. The front area went straight down like in this picture. View attachment 1715558854

Last edited:
The third pattern was cut at an angle like this....
The second pattern was in the middle of these two.
333DB793-DE92-4EA0-A6D7-E230CC36B455.jpeg

Much appreciated...
Do you know if this was true in any way for the 68 Barracuda? (Hemi)

MAPS

The third pattern was cut at an angle like this....
The second pattern was in the middle of these two. View attachment 1715558857

Unless info for these two pics found on the webb are wrong.
Not sure of your description of wheel well here. Can be the angle fooling the eye. Lower body side curving under car.
This pic here is same car (Bagshaw´s) different angle. To me front lower part of wheel well looks to be intakt... unless of cause two very different cuts were made on same car. But I dont thing we shall exaggregate the fact some differances occured.
The Barracudas did not have any modes done to them from Chrysler or Hurst.
One has to very carefule when judging pics. A picture from 1968-69 usually shows a car not having any modes done to it. NHRA did not allow any. 1970 though, same car may run Pro Stock, and same wheel well may look different.
Now the race is on and you can see all kind of modes start to show up on cars.
A good sighn is if car is running SS B Class. That means either 1968 or 1969 and as said no mods where allowed.
red light bandit 2.jpg

Last edited:
When I was building my Dart 8+ years ago I was going nuts trying to figure out the wheel wells in these cars. I found an old racer from back in the day that new a lot about these cars and we talked. He said there were three main runs of the Darts and do to time and parts availability these were all unique in there own way. Shortly after the first run of Darts they found that with even the modifications done to the opening getting a slick in the was still tight. The bottom wheel opening ( let’s say 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock) where not modified, only the top sections were. On the second run of cars they moved the forward lip half way between the stock and where the inner tub started. The third mod they moved the opening all the was to the inner tub. This is what he told me and all the research at the time it made perfect sense.
Here is some photos on how I cut my own wheel well openings.
C5B98B32-1E17-4AF5-A12D-B8C0FACE9DBE.jpeg
EF3E520C-7F46-42C1-A043-635F07E82023.jpeg
16FC2647-147A-4D71-8F4E-83805ED7D2B0.png
0B84905F-2FA3-4083-99BE-0F5EF6F71632.png
65A0B228-28B1-4375-9B84-C0519C2F38C7.jpeg

When I was building my Dart 8+ years ago I was going nuts trying to figure out the wheel wells in these cars. I found an old racer from back in the day that new a lot about these cars and we talked. He said there were three main runs of the Darts and do to time and parts availability these were all unique in there own way. Shortly after the first run of Darts they found that with even the modifications done to the opening getting a slick in the was still tight. The bottom wheel opening ( let’s say 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock) where not modified, only the top sections were. On the second run of cars they moved the forward lip half way between the stock and where the inner tub started. The third mod they moved the opening all the was to the inner tub. This is what he told me and all the research at the time it made perfect sense.
Here is some photos on how I cut my own wheel well openings. View attachment 1715559494View attachment 1715559495View attachment 1715559496View attachment 1715559497View attachment 1715559498

Thank you. This I like. Facts and original pics...

64A2C485-DEFC-474B-84F8-C96FAE554D8F.jpeg
If you look closely in this photo you can still see the soot from when they brazed the wheel lip over.

View attachment 1715576618 If you look closely in this photo you can still see the soot from when they brazed the wheel lip over.
—-
When I was doing mine I found that the body lines at that 3 and 9 o’clock positions was the optimal place to change the transition, both below and above. The bottom front I ended flush to the tub and the bottom at the rear was not altered. Once I had the left side done I made a template and used it for the right side. Building the tub into the wheel opening lip took lots of time.
CF1F961D-8081-4C90-BCE9-258ACABE8700.jpeg

EA7FFE62-D1EE-4891-9CE5-9210D875901B.jpeg

23A40860-AAAC-4109-96A4-8715BE62091A.jpeg

Last edited:
—-
When I was doing mine I found that the body lines at that 3 and 9 o’clock positions was the optimal place to change the transition, both below and above. The bottom front I ended flush to the tub and the bottom at the rear was not altered. Once I had the left side done I made a template and used it for the right side. Building the tub into the wheel opening lip took lots of time.
View attachment 1715590648

View attachment 1715590651

View attachment 1715590650

I noticed that there is only 1 leafspring, is that because of a Caltracs set up or the likes ?

Someone I knew hthat claimed to have worked at the Hurst factory said they had a guy on either side of the car, a template & sawzall and that was pretty much it. I've seen cars where the quarters weren't even on the same car which would account for the inconsistencies we all worry about here. One guys reference point view may not be the same as the others while working on the same car. I recall being at "Mopars at the Strip" years ago & a collector brought out 3 Darts as barn-finds on display. Not a single one had anything in common with each other as to engine-bay parts placement, etc. suggesting verifying as restored car "as shipped" nowadays would be next to impossible. The best I could see is do one based on whatever picture one can find & call it good. Afterall, these WERE racecars built to be completed by the buyers & were always modified to fit the class.

I believe there are a total of three different cut outs that were used. The first generation is the least common seen where the front of the opening is straight up and down. The third generation has a very strong angle that is the most common done seen the the second generation is in the middle. Here is the first generation
1D8223C3-177C-45D1-94BB-1ED27DD6EFC8.png

Here is the third generation. I not 100% sure where this drawing originated from. The date is later than the last run for these cars.
AC7B9EA5-4753-4FBA-96F2-5B0F956F9554.png

Here is a little update for anybody looking for templates. I get this question all the time, who is selling a good accurate template? Well guess what, I am!!
For the past few weeks myself and Steve Wall (autoxcuda) have been working on the artwork and verbiage in making a accurate template that will show both types (early and late model year cutouts) of cutouts used on the Hemi Darts. I will include directions on how to draw it out, make cuts, tools used and the procedure I used in welding it back together. I believe these should be ready in late Jan or early Feb 2022 so stay tuned.
9D351808-BBBA-4311-88E2-0FC4D40DDB9B.jpeg

Here is a little update for anybody looking for templates. I get this question all the time, who is selling a good accurate template? Well guess what, I am!!
For the past few weeks myself and Steve Wall (autoxcuda) have been working on the artwork and verbiage in making a accurate template that will show both types (early and late model year cutouts) of cutouts used on the Hemi Darts. I will include directions on how to draw it out, make cuts, tools used and the procedure I used in welding it back together. I believe these should be ready in late Jan or early Feb 2022 so stay tuned. View attachment 1715830769
I'm interested, put me on the list please

For the past few weeks myself and Steve Wall (autoxcuda) have been working on the artwork and verbiage in making a accurate template that will show both types (early and late model year cutouts) of cutouts used on the Hemi Darts. I will include directions on how to draw it out, make cuts, tools used and the procedure I used in welding it back together. I believe these should be ready in late Jan or early Feb 2022 so stay tuned. View attachment 1715830769

Cool, nice work! I don't have a Dart at the moment but maybe I need to find one! How are you going to offer these? PDF?

I've read more than one source say Hurst used a Coronet front fender opening and turned it around or something like that.

Cool, nice work! I don't have a Dart at the moment but maybe I need to find one! How are you going to offer these? PDF?

I've read more than one source say Hurst used a Coronet front fender opening and turned it around or something like that.

Hello. The temple will be sold outright. Most people don’t have a printer that will print 24” wide. I’m working on the templet as I’m writing this. So far I have about thirty hours into it trying to perfect everything. I’ll let everybody know when ready.
Thanks for asking. Troy

Hi everyone. I’m on the 8th rendition of the template and it’s getting very close. I’m now working on the instruction sheet. I’m getting closer but still a few weeks out. If interested in buying a template just PM me and I’ll put you on my list. Thanks again! Troy
5A467D1D-42FB-4B97-9346-DE41454BBFA5.jpeg

-
Back