**68 NHRA Nationals**

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Pretty cool old video. 68 Barracuda for the win.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3cnc-77ZE"]Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins at the '68 NHRA Nationals - YouTube[/ame]

Cool that you posted this vid. I've watched it several times before and it's always entertaining. I loved Ronnie Sox as a kid, but as far as engineering, it doesn't get much better then Jenkins. Growing up in Maryland, i saw many match races with these guys and had been to Grumpy's shop twice. I'd be remiss in not mentioning Bob Glidden also. While the list is too long for me to list my hero's growing up, those three are at the top.

Cooll vid! Jenkins only ran that car for a few races. It was a 396/375hp version, not a COPO as some think. It was only moderately successful & the next year he won the first ProStock event witha 9.99 in a Camaro.

Who started the cigar deal was it grumpy or Landy? or did Landy copy Grumpy, god i miss the 60s and 70s

bet that chevy don't have a muncie in it........not hittin it like that

Could you imagine someone doing the Cigar thing today? Cool Vid, thanks for posting it, I enjoyed it with my breakfast.

Is he cool or what? With the shades & cigar slamming through the gears..lol :glasses7: Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Pat

bet that chevy don't have a muncie in it........not hittin it like that

IIRC, S/S back then had to run the same engine/trans combo as the car. IF I'm right, my guess isit was an M-22 or possibly a B-W T-10 of some type.

Grumpy was a pretty good shifter for an Ivy League Guy (Cornell University).

The 68' Camaro 396/375 HP ran in SS/C. Great car, and was always in the hunt for
Super Stock Championship crowns.

At Indy 1968, Grumpy got knocked off in the Semi-Finals, by Arlen Vanke in the
68' Hemi Cuda SS/B 'East Town Chrysler-Plymouth' car.

The 68' Nova, also a 396/375 HP ran in SS/D. Ed Hedrick raced it and annoyed many
of the 66' thru 68' Street Hemi B-Body cars, and the 63' and 64' Lightweight 426 Max-Wedge cars.

Early in the video, it showed Grumpy beating Jack Werst 'Mr. 5 & 50' in his 68' SS/BA
Hemi Cuda during Super/Stock Eliminator.

1968 NHRA Inday Nationals,

Don Grotheer 'Cable Car' who was the Super Stock Eliminator Runner-Up at
the 68' Springnationals @ Englishtown had the quickest 68' SS/B Hemi Cuda
at the Nationals.

But, Don had mechanism problems with his Hurst Shifter, and could not get it
shifting smoothly while in Super Stock Eliminator. Don hit the 10.40's during
Class Run-Off's.

Is he cool or what? With the shades & cigar slamming through the gears..lol :glasses7: Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Pat
When it comes to coolness with the shades
and Cigar slamming....
I think the only person that even comes close to "Grumpy" is.....

Bill Clinton !

Love Him, Or Hate Him.

Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins was a 'Rebel'.

The only guy to really strike fear at Chrysler Performance, from 1966 thru Mid 1970's.

-
Back