68 or 72 Alternator

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm putting a 340 from a 72 Duster into a 68 Dart. I have the 2 wire alternator from the 72 and the 1 wire alternator from the 68. I know the 72 has electronic ignition and the 68 doesn't. I have a new electronic ignition engine harness from Bill Evans on the way. So, what alternator do I put in the car? I deconstructed then reconstructed the whole car without much difficulty, but I'm very worried about the ignition change. Thanks.

Actually 2 wire and 1 wire is not exactly correct description LOL but I know what you mean

You can use the later 2 wire field (isolated field) by simply making a jumper wire for one field connection and wiring the rest up as the 68.. Does not matter electrically which one

If the harness you have? has the newer triangular shaped harness plug I would obtain the 70/ later regulator and hook it up as per later, that is 2 field wires

Maybe I misread, I would be careful mixing 70 and 72 harnesses.

..essentially it'll be a 72 wrapped in a 68's coat - I expect you'll do better if you update all to 72. Also, (after reading 67Dart273 reply above) you may want to consider a completely new wiring harness - not just the engine one (I missed that in your description on my first read through) oh ^^^ that guy knows his stuff!!

-
Back