68 small block water pump and power steering??

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
Ok I am making the swap on my dart from the orginal 273 with power steering to my 340. I want to maintain my power steering . looks like we have to completely differant water pumps. The old one is a driver side bottom out and has ears on it to accomadate the PS pump? is there a work around on this or do I just need an old style water pump?? im going to check at checker or pep boys tomorrow to see if the have the old style pump if so Im good to go other than the radiator is in pretty sad shape.

Let me know if anyone had dealt with this before.

thanks Chad

Hey Chad, you're going to have to find the power steering pump brackets for the 70 & up small block. Just changing the water pump won't work because you'll have to change the timing chain cover and damper too. The timing marks are on the opposite side. So getting the pump brackets and new radiator would be a better way to go. JMO Wish I could be there helping with your cars.

Luckily they came in just about everything. I got mine out of a d150 Van when i found out my old pump was bad (before I knew I was going to manual steering).

-
Back