`69 1/2 440-6pk question

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere recently that the early 440-6 cars from `69.5 had the smaller 440 rods as most all 440`s and that the large rods were only introduced in late `69 or`70. This article was in a reputable publication, I think it was Mopar Muscle. Has anybody got the 411 on this?

Yes. The 69 1/2 cars had the same size rods as "regular" 440s did until 70. Then they got the bigger rods and different balancer. BUT....Ma made so many of these rods etc that it wasn't uncommon to have the "six pack" rods in a regular 4V motor from the factory

That article was eye opening for me because back in the `70`s I detonated one of those engines when it dropped a valve. When I went searching for that one rod I kept hearing the same thing "that`s not a six pack rod, the six pack rod is a bigger rod," etc.. I knew the engine was the original ,correct ,engine and that was always a bit of enigma to me but I was always open to the fact that Chrysler did a lot of odd things and that anything was possible. Thanks for the reply.

I know how the 340-6 blocks are identified, but how do you tell if it's a 440-6?

I know how the 340-6 blocks are identified, but how do you tell if it's a 440-6?

I don`t think there`s a difference in the 440 blocks of that era only the rods and balancer. The 440-6 engines from 70 and 71 featured heavier rods and external balancing which included a unique counterweight on the harmonic balancer. As we were discussing in earlier posts the 69.5 440-6 didn`t have the same heavy rods nor the harmonic balancer.

No difference in the blocks or heads at all. Cams had the same specs as a 4V cam, but the ramps were different and therefore the lift and duration were actually different

;) Thanks Longgone....have some checking to do.

68 Sedan, What are ramps.....:scratch: :dontknow:

Ramps are the sides of the lobes on the cam that the lifter rides on. You can do a lot of tricky things to a cam by changing how the ramp is designed...just like a hump in the road.

-
Back