'69 340 Questions

-

GR5

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a ‘69 340 that I plan to swap into my ’69 318 automatic Barracuda. I was told it was a running engine before it was yanked out of the vehicle. The original owner sold the carb and intake separately. I was also told it has a 508 camshaft that needs to be broken in and it’s a standard bore. I’m not sure why the camshaft was replaced in the first place especially if he had planned to sell it. That’s all I know about it and any information I don’t know I’ll have to discover myself as I cannot contact the original owner.

I’d like to get people’s opinions on what the best course of action would be to get this engine running. Should I pull the heads to see exactly what I have? Should I put an intake and carb on it and run it? I’m hoping to not do a full rebuild since the engine was running.

Right now my plans are to use a stock 340 intake that I already have, 340 exhaust manifolds and I’d welcome a carb recommendation. I do have a Edelbrock 600 cfm (1406) if that would work, but I’m not opposed to getting a different one if need be. I’m also not opposed to a camshaft swap if need be.

My objective is to have a good running and reliable street engine. I’m not looking for a high horsepower race motor.

I am new to engine work but it is something I’ve always wanted to do and what better way to learn?

I understand there is probably more information I need to provide so please ask away.

Thanks to all,

Mike

Hello,
I was told it was a running engine before it was yanked out of the vehicle.

YOu know how many good running engines I've pulled out of vehicles?

I'd start with a total disassembly of what you have, or have it disassembled. Inspect, see what you need and go from there.

That engine probably did run, before it didn't, and then was yanked.

Unless you hear the motor run before you buy it, you must tear it down completely and confirm what you have. Never take anyone's word for it because you will pay for that mistake later.

The 1406 carb is a good place to start, especially if you already have it.
If you actually plan to drive the car a lot, not just to the ice cream store on weekends, that 509 cam may not be good for you in an otherwise stock engine. If it was me, I'd go with a Comp XE268 or one step smaller. Just my opinions.

For best peace in mind, take it apart. However, I've pulled tons of small block mopar. I've never, and i mean never, pulled a bad one. How or why?
  • bought junk vehicles for good running motors
  • pulled 273 for 318's
  • pulled 318's for 340's
  • pulled 340's for 360's
  • pulled 360's for big block
  • pulled 340's and 360's to keep and put 318's back in
  • pulled slants for 318's, 340's, and 360's.
Bottom line, tons of reasons to pull good running motors. But when buying off of a guys word, best peace of mine is to disassemble

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. I will get to disassembling it and see what I have. It may take a little time but I'll report back on what I find.

When you say take it apart you do mean pistons/crank and all, correct? Basically down to the block. If so are there any parts I should replace no matter what (i.e. timing chain set, rings, oil pump, etc.).

Thanks,

Mike

After heads are removed- inspect cylinder walls. Do you see crosshatch from previous machine work? If yes, this would indicate little wear in the bores. If not, how much ring ridge can you feel? Look at burn pattern on top of each piston. Are they consistent? Turn engine over and remove pan. Remove two rod caps from a crank journal. Inspect crank journal and connecting rod bearings. Remove one main bearing cap. Inspect crank journal and main bearing. By now you should be seeing the condition of the motor and where you need to go with it. Is there rust in critical places? Has water been sitting in the motor? You can mic the bore, the connecting rod journal to see if they are standard. Good luck, you can do it.

A 50 year old performance engine that's still std bore will most likely require a FULL rebuild, quality machine work ect.. hopefully you paid core price for it. And in my opinion, if you didn't hear it run, it's a core, period.

As stated, you wont know what you have unless you open it up. You could get a bell housing and a points distributor and fire it up sitting of the shop floor also. I wouldn't tear it apart if you don't have the budget to do what it needs, up to machine shop service. The engine being 50 years old don't really mean anything, either the engine has wear or it hasn't been ran much. Again, you wont know unless you tear down and inspect, and that includes taking measurements.

YOu know how many good running engines I've pulled out of vehicles?

I'd start with a total disassembly of what you have, or have it disassembled. Inspect, see what you need and go from there.

That engine probably did run, before it didn't, and then was yanked.

Yes sir. This right here^^^^ is the right thing to do. First, you will know what you have. Secondly, you can correct whatever problem(s) cause it to be pulled. Hopefully.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will tear it down in the next few weeks and see what I have. Either way good or bad it's going to be fun.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will tear it down in the next few weeks and see what I have. Either way good or bad it's going to be fun.

Thanks,

Mike

LOL!!! If this is fun I've not had it!! Fun is making passes down the drag strip. Fun is crusing the Avenue when you are young and taking cash from suckers and collecting panties. Fun is lots of things...but this so dos a lot like work to me.

If it's fun to you, your lucky.

For me the fun part is the challenge of learning something new, especially something I've always wanted to do. I also get to have my Dad and 9 year old nephew in the garage with me and my 4 year old daughter always wants to hang out in the garage with me. I try to get them exposed to the car hobby every chance I get.

Thanks,

Mike

I was told it was a running engine before it was yanked out of the vehicle.

you fell for the old "it was running before yanked" line huh....

I’d like to get people’s opinions on what the best course of action

if it were me.... id sell that ***** to some resto clown for good money and build a 360...:p

you fell for the old "it was running before yanked" line huh....

if it were me.... id sell that ***** to some resto clown for good money and build a 360...:p

And give up power to the 340 and drive around with a 2 bbl truck engine? I walk over free 360's to pay for 340's.

Aw common, it was fun on yur first time ...... wasn't it?

Ditch that 292/508 cam

Didn't like it the first time. I detest working on cars. I enjoy making horsepower and letting some other knuckle dragged do the work. Working on cars isn't fun. It sucks.

so you've never seen a good running 360? find that very hard to believe... you can't be that ignorant...

like i said sell that 340 to some clown who will over pay for it and build a nice running 360.

so you've never seen a good running 360? find that very hard to believe... you can't be that ignorant...

like i said sell that 340 to some clown who will over pay for it and build a nice running 360.

I didn't say THAT. You shouldn't make things up unless you are posting in the political forum. I don't like the smaller bore and the bigger mains. It's a simple geometry thing. If you can't make a 340 run at least as good as a 360 there is a golf course calling your name.

Not worth making a 340 run good when there are so many clowns out there that will over pay for them. Sell that crap and come out a head of the game with a 360.

Last edited:
-
Back