'69 340 Swinger 4-speed clutch linkage

-

3rdLM23P9

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Changing the clutch in my (new to me) '69 Swinger, and am having difficulty adjusting to engage the clutch with reasonable pedal position.

If I adjust to get the pedal back up close to the brake pedal, the clutch will not disengage the transmission. In order to adjust pedal height to disengage the clutch (to release the transmission) the pedal is almost to the floor.

Also, the pushrod through the firewall boot seems to move up/down vertically when pushing in the clutch pedal - should it be moving that way?

Not sure that all of the hardware is factory spec, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Does anyone have pictures of factory '69 340 Swinger clutch linkage, Z-bar, firewall hole/boot, fork, clutch rod, etc?

Thanks!

Make sure the rod hat goes through the firewall is not worn. The hole is "D" shaped and sharp line. the holes wear and get elongated. either weld more material and shape it or purchase new clutch rod.

The bushings could be worn on the clutch pedal under the dash. Just had a spare set of pedals rebuilt and then installed them. The master cylinder is attached to this assembly as is the column. The overcenter spring is tricky to take off and re-install and dangerous if not watched!! load the spring with washers to keep expanded to remove and do not take out washers until reinstalled.

Before taking pedals out, try to have a back up set as the pedal arm could be worn and that would mean a replacement.

Under lots of pressure so take time and have a helper.

I don't think the pedals are necessarily supposed to be the same height either. I thought I remember hearing somewhere that it was done that way on purpose so you could tell the difference between the brake and the clutch easier (I know, it sounds stilly, but with some people...). It may have had something to do with keeping your foot from resting on the clutch and burning it up as well or something like that.

What kind of clutch set did you use?
Diaphragm or borg and beck?
Borg and beck is factory and has a 3 finger pressure plate, diaphragm has lots of fingers all around the pressure plate.
What was the linkage like before you replaced the clutch set?
Are you sure the disc is in correctly?
It almost sounds like to me the z-bar (bellcrank) is in backwards.

Installed a finger style first (which was what came out), could not even get the clutch to engage, and had to leave on the lift with tires spinning. Second, put in a diaphragm, and with the adjustments referred to in my orginal post, can at least get the clutch to engage.

If I adjust to get the pedal back up close to the brake pedal, the clutch will not disengage the transmission. In order to adjust pedal height to disengage the clutch (to release the transmission) the pedal is almost to the floor.

Thanks!

When adjusting 'up' you are making the linkage longer.
When 'almost to the floor', you have made the linkage shorter.

Odd that a LONGER (more) adjustment will not disengage the transmission.

There are different TO bearing collar sizes. If you need the 'thinner' one and use the THICKER one, you will have clutch engagement problems. Too long a linkage (as described) will run the PP fingers into the clutch plate..it spins and turns the transmission.

I know that can happen 'cuz I did it. I had no idea the collar on the new TO bearing I bought was NOT a fit to the retainer on my (different year from the car) transmission.

Anecdotal and all...but my brand new out of the box Hayes BB/Long combo pressure plate had the finger height all wrong. The fingers had to be be 'relieved' on the back side to keep them from hitting the disk.

dartnut said:
Are you sure the disc is in correctly?

I missed the response to that....

The z-bar (on my '73 anyway) has a springwire clip on the TOP (firewall) end to hold the nylon bushing. There is NO clip (and therefore no holes FOR the clip if your clip is missing) on the BOTTOM (clutch rod) end.

DusterZbarbearingclip.jpg

A verification of that by another would be helpful. It will tell you for sure (if correct) if the z-bar is installed incorrectly.

-
Back