69 A56 '340 Cuda

-
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The original ordering man that gave "BIRTH" to this super rare coupe has it back home in SD rite now!!!!! It has come full circle now across the country and after 44 years it's back to it's "BIRTHING FATHER"!!!!!!!

Curt is a really good guy and i'm happy to get the car back to him! If anyone out there knows me, I normally don't let stuff go once I get ahold of it, but this was and exceptional case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 of my 6, '69 'cuda package cars has left the "NEST"

Awsome story!!!

I assume you sold it back to him BB-Dave!

Class act move!!!!

Yes! I made the long trip east and BB Dave and I were able make a deal that was satisfactory for both of us.

The 'Cuda is very close to what it looked like when I last drove it. I had not seen it since 1970. It is not going to take a lot of work to get the car back on the street again. Going to be a winter time project.

BB Dave has an awesome collection of A bodies! I was impressed!

On my way home I stopped at the dealer ship that I bought the car from. The son of one of the original owners now runs the dealership and he had wanted to see the car.

As Phil Robertson says "Happy! Happy! Happy!

Pa karp (Curt Rees):D

Man, this story is sooo great!! I'm glad ya'll were able to come to an agreement on the car, and way to go, BB-Dave on being able to cut loose with it! Pa-Karp, you must just be soaking it all in right about now!

Curt (pa karp),

Congrats man! Knowing what I know about BB-Dave, getting that car back must have taken some serious convincing! Speaking with other members, and of his own admission, BB-Dave parts with stuff about as often as a lunar eclipse.

Either way, it is awesome that the car is back in your hands. It must have been really cool to see the very same car from way back when as well preserved as that car was. I can only imagine it was pretty moving to put eyes on it and perhaps row the gears again! :burnout:

This is what makes this hobby really cool.

Funny story about the 'Cuda! BB-Dave found a Daredevil fishing lure and plastic bobber under the seat. More then likely they were mine from 44 years ago.

They are now laying on the back window shelf. And they are going to stay there! lol

Pa karp:toothy9:

So have you seen it in person yet or did this deal take place on the phone? Am I the only one interested in details?
:happy1:

Great story! Good luck. My first running Mopar project,Y2 notch Cuda. Man,I miss it.

So have you seen it in person yet or did this deal take place on the phone? Am I the only one interested in details?
:happy1:

Curt has the car home! He pulled an open trailer all the way to my house and back...1655 miles each way!!!
He met me at my house last Wed morning at 8am. We talked, looked over the car, showed him some of my other cars.
We took plenty of pics so we'll be posting them soon!!!......the sun was blaring in our eyes(where were those shades???)

I think pa Karp needs to start a new post. May be call it the search for my 340 'Cuda 4 speed car that I bought new with a happy ending.

Show some pictures

Here is photo of BB-Dave and I as we made the deal! Also, I re-posted the old photos taken in 1969 for a comparison. The 'Cuda has not changed much, well, me.....let's say I have matured!

Pa karp

Attachments

• CUDA 340 92720130001.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 502
  • Cuda Old Photos 92720130001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 503
BB-Dave You are so cool for hooking pa karp up with his car. That had to been very hard to do, knowing that you are such a 69 notchback freak. 'cuda package 4 speed on top of it all. People like you are hard to come by.

Again Very COOL!!!

BB-Dave,

Kudos for hooking up pa karp with his long lost car! Again, this is such a good story. Pa Karp, you should take a pic similar to the one you posted of you and the car from back in the day. I also think you have a good trace on the previous owners. Would be cool to document the cars full circle story.
It is a remarkably unmolested car. Not sure how long BB-Dave had it as well as the previous owner, but I am fairly sure it was well cared for during that period.

Current owner: you
Previous owner: BB-Dave
Previous owner: D. Sanchez (1969cudaman)
Etc, etc
First owner: you

Again really cool rare find...and with 340 + 4 speed + 3.91s = FUN!

The drive train is going to need most of the work. The engine is going to be built to mostly factory specs, maybe a little better cam. The 4 speed and rear end are probably ok as is.

I put brake fluid in the master cylinder and pumped the brakes, had brakes. I think I am going to replace all the wheel cylinders and brake linings. More then likely the shocks also. It may just need a good greasing as far as tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.

The interior is good except for a few minor tears in the head liner under the visors and a tear in each of the backs of the front seats. The back seat and carpets are good. The back seat is more then likely original, as is the back window shelf. The glass is good. And the doors shut tight.

I am going to clean up the engine compartment and re-paint it the Y2 color. I still have not decided on the exterior as the paint is original and does look pretty good. There are a few dings and dents in the body.

I have either talked to or e-mailed all of the owners after me. There are 6 of them. The 2nd owner wants a photo of him and his wife with the car, because that was their "dating" car!

I also got a e mail and have visited with the editor of the home town newspaper. They are going to do a story on the car as to it's history and how I found it and brought home.

Pa karp

Curt, next time your on here tell how you just found the 2nd owner!!!

Like I suggested, just get it running/driving/safe and ENJOY it!!!!!!!

The body is good enough, let the next guy do a full resto or maybe it will be kept the way it is now, forever?
Like doing the engine compartment......one thing always lead into another, don't get trapped into that.......ENJOY IT WILL YOU CAN....just my opinion.

PS...don't forget to have your body guy paint those wheels Y2 while he's at it!!!!

Curt, I showed a car guy at work this whole story. He asked me what ever made you want to try to find the car? Found the old pics?

Dave,

I do want to clean up the engine compartment. My body guy says it won't be hard to do with the engine out. The rest won't be done until the car is running, and maybe not then. The car, as you well know, looks good now! The "survivor" look adds to the car.

I was at the Oahe Speedway for the annual NHRA national open on Sept 21st/22nd. A guy walks up to me and says "you don't remember me, it has been probably 30 years, but I heard you found your 'Cuda. I was the 2nd owner of the car"! It was at least 30 years! He and his wife dated in the car and have been married now close to 40 years. He told me to contact him when I get the car going, he and his wife are willing to make a 340 mile round trip to have their photo taken with the car!

The reason I looked for it is because of the memories. Even though I owned it only a short time the 1st time around, I always had it in the back of my mind to try to find and own it again. I found it in 1995, but the timing was not just there then.

I dug the old photos out in May and decided to go on a "mission" and 1st see if I could find it, and, if lucky enough to do so, purchase it. Never dreaming I would be able to do either! And it all came to pass!

Pa karp (Curt Rees)

What a story and great ending. Congrats to Pa karp for finding and to BB-Dave for being willing to reunite the original owner with his car!

Also nice to know that there is another guy in the great State of South Dakota that has a love affair for the late 60's Barracudas. So far I have two 68 fastbacks and hope that's not the end of the collection.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to add a bit to the story of Pa Karp and BB Dave's 'Cuda adventure.

My dad is Pa Karp (my brothers and I call him Pops) and I am his middle son Carter. BB Dave will probably never fully understand what a wonderful thing he has done for Pops and ultimately my brothers (Curtis and Clay) and I. It may have been 44 years since Pops has seen that car but I can tell you we have almost grown up with it.

We have always known our dad was a gear-head. My brothers and I have heard Pops tell us countless stories of South Dakota back road drag racing. He did make it to an official drag strip now and again also. It would seem Pops has owned dang near every cool car you could imagine but it was this 'Cuda that he always said he would love to have back. I can't tell you how many times I have looked at those old photos of Pops kneeling in front of that 'Cuda with his trophies. I even remember seeing those trophies when I was younger (I'm 38 years old now) and would bet he still has them somewhere in his garage.

Cars, baseball, and fishing is what we did with our dad growing up. Couldn't have asked for better memories with him. Pops helped my older brother Curtis put together a Chevy Nova (booo, hissss). My younger brother Clay has always been enamored with Pop's race cars and is a Mustang aficionado. They have built a pretty sweet Mustang together when Clay was younger.

Clay and I spent a lot of time in Marion, SD and made a few trips to the strip in Sioux Falls, SD with Pops. I'll never forget the time Pops stared down a pissed off biker in Sioux Falls who had just blown out a tire on the 1/8th mile track there. My dad the tough guy! Thunder Valley in Marion is where the now infamous foot race took place between Pops, Clay, and I. Pops will swear to this day he out ran us. I would agree if it were in the rules to take off on 1 during a count of 1, 2, 3 (you know what you did Pops). Marion is also where I learned that you shouldn't put Micky Thompson slicks on a car with a rear-end unable to handle the increased traction. Who knew the rear axle on a car could explode like that?

BB Dave has returned what I think is a family heirloom that has been on a nationwide tour for the last 44 years. My brothers and I are thrilled for Pops that he has gotten it back into his garage. I spoke with him just yesterday and I can tell he is excited to have it home after all these years. BB Dave is a real car lover for being willing to part with the 'Cuda for the right reasons. A hell of a thing to do.

One of the stipulations of selling the car to Pops was that it would remain in our family. BB Dave: I can promise you that this 'Cuda will never leave the confines of the Rees clan. It will be cared for and enjoyed for generations of Rees kids to come. We are already fighting over who gets to keep it (get your life insurance premium paid Pops and sleep with one eye open) someday! Clay will probably win by playing the war hero card (tours in Iraq and Afghanistan). Curtis and I have never been shot at except by each other with Daisy BB guns when we were kids so I guess we lose.

Thanks BB Dave for doing such a great thing. Really amazing. My only worry is that I will come back to SD for a visit and catch my divorced parents in the back seat with each other again. My head hurts just thinking about it...

Best to you all.

Carter Rees

This story gets better all the time....... Really touches the heart!

Good to be the middle son!

Some say nothing ever comes or is expected from the middle son . I say BS they are the best!

-
Back