69 Barracuda Clock

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
In the next few months I'm going to start working on my dash. I'm going to keep the car as original as possible which means keeping it a /6. Not seeing much need for a tach, i thought I might look for a clock. I'm assuming the clock goes into the center smaller circle in the cluster but I've never seen a picture of one with a clock in it. Did the 69 Barracuda come with a clock option?
Thanks

I think the problem is that the clock and cable were sold separately (if ordered from a dealer).

The other problem is that when people part out a car they don't keep the cable and clock together.

I have a complete assy if you haven't found one yet. Clock, cable control, and the jumper wire. I don't guarantee the clock however.....those things are too tempermental. It's best to convert them to a quartz movement.

I think the problem is that the clock and cable were sold separately (if ordered from a dealer).

The other problem is that when people part out a car they don't keep the cable and clock together.

I bought a NOS one and in the box was clock, cable control plus the jumper wire. There may have been two part numbers they were ordered under with one being just a replacement clock and one being a complete package.

!BTk5DlwBGk~$(KGrHgoOKk!EjlLm(M-TBKJL7!FuR!~~_12.JPG

Here is one on eBay (pictured above) but it isn't cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-1...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item588ea896fd

I have one also. This clock was restored with quartz movement. It looks and runs great but I took it out and installed the vacuum performance indicator in that pod. Here's why, the clock was never right because I set the neg' battery cable off when I park the car. Every time I drove the car I needed to reset the time. Wait there's more... These clocks have a secondary adjustment. If the clock runs a little slow moving the hands forward makes them run a tiny bit faster. If it runs a little fast, moving the hands backward makes the clock run slightly slower. So a owner of a daily driver could make the clock keep the correct time.
Now I assume that secondary adjustment is deleted with the quartz movement upgrade but There was a chance that I would screw up a good clock in my adjusting the time which ever direction required the least effort.
I'd be happy to sell this clock w/ cable to you or anyone else who might want one but I probably just convinced you that you dont want one LOL
I have a extra performance indicator That works good too if you're interested. Happy moparing

I have one also. This clock was restored with quartz movement. It looks and runs great but I took it out and installed the vacuum performance indicator in that pod. Here's why, the clock was never right because I set the neg' battery cable off when I park the car. Every time I drove the car I needed to reset the time. Wait there's more... These clocks have a secondary adjustment. If the clock runs a little slow moving the hands forward makes them run a tiny bit faster. If it runs a little fast, moving the hands backward makes the clock run slightly slower. So a owner of a daily driver could make the clock keep the correct time.
Now I assume that secondary adjustment is deleted with the quartz movement upgrade but There was a chance that I would screw up a good clock in my adjusting the time which ever direction required the least effort.
I'd be happy to sell this clock w/ cable to you or anyone else who might want one but I probably just convinced you that you dont want one LOL
I have a extra performance indicator That works good too if you're interested. Happy moparing

That is good information. Now I may not even use my clock.:banghead:

That is good information. Now I may not even use my clock.:banghead:

It was said that Henry Ford's father was a clock maker and considering the performance of the clocks in old cars it's a good thing Henry maded cars instead.
You may also find this interesting.. These clock have a little set of points inside. When these contacts touch current causes the one moving contact to jump away which causes a pop noise as it operates a ratcheting mechanism to wind the clock. It will run for about 3 minutes as the contacts slowly close then you'll hear the "pop" again.
Corosion from moisture stopped the clocks in old cars. Sometimes a simple cleaning and oiling would make them run again.
The clock I have with quartz controlled movement still has that mechanical wind mechanism inside.
ne more thing since I'm on a roll...
The ebay listing stated there is a contact for the clock in the panel.
That's both true and false. The factory added the clocks 12 volt supply onto the red post of the amp gauge. Imagine full system voltage jumping through those contacts and no fuse protection other than the fusible link.

The performance indicator isn't electric at all. It uses a single vacuum line attached to the intake manifold. It's reading represents economy and/or engine health.

I've read in two different articles that when these cars rolled off the assembly line that the clocks wouldn't work correctly or not at all. So if you get one that works sounds like you will do good.

Of the slant 6 Barracudas I've seen, more came with the blank than anything else.

can you tell me where the clock adjustable cable come through the dash and does connecting the clock jumper directly to the amp gauge hurt it. Thanks Reggie

can you tell me where the clock adjustable cable come through the dash and does connecting the clock jumper directly to the amp gauge hurt it. Thanks Reggie
Using the power at the ammeter should be fine. I would connect to the input side of the meter and use an inline fuse just in case the clock melts down (I've seen it happen)

I'm almost certain that every dash has the one hole low and left, between fuse box and column. There could be map light switch or convertible top switch there. When a 2nd was added another hole was added beside that one. Those electrical switches got labeled bezels but there never was a matching bezel for this A-body clock controller. Look for a hole that is low and points the knob to the floor.
Factory decided this the clock didn't need accessory harness to fuse box like tachs, a/c, additions had. Maybe because the only accessory slot at the fuse box was a switched hot.
If I added a inline fuse to its power supply I could write clock on it with a sharpie and hide behind the column door but.... what gauge wire and fuse is req'd? The clocks positive lead is the only clue.

-
Back