'69 Barracuda grill trim

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought new repro trim for the grilles from PG Classics,
{3309-STSET Mopar 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Grille Screen Trim} but no way do they fit correctly. They are not bent correctly in the corners and after trying to tweek them every which way - there is no way they would fit like the originals.

So I went back to the originals. They are anodized, so I first had to strip the anodizing before I can sand and polish them and then clear coat. That will take many hours of work, but in the end, they will fit exactly back in the frames.
SO - based on my experience - DO NOT BUY THESE REPRO GRILLE TRIMS for your Cuda!!!!

View attachment IMG_3870_1280x719.jpg

View attachment IMG_3871_1280x719.jpg

Yep!!!! They are way off in the corners.

Fixing originals is the only way to go.

How are you planning to rivet them back to the housings?

I used the original style semi-tubular rivets. Best way to do it IMO.

So any feedback from PG?
Which one is repop and which is original in pics?
Following along here to see grill progress.
Thanks for posting!

Yep!!!! They are way off in the corners.

Fixing originals is the only way to go.

How are you planning to rivet them back to the housings?

I used the original style semi-tubular rivets. Best way to do it IMO.

I was planning to just use Al pop rivets. Do you recall what size tubular rivets you used? I assume you need a special tool to install them?
Thx
Jim

http://tubularrivetclincher.yolasite.com/online-store.php

http://rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/semi-tubular-rivets.html

These are pretty inexpensive and work very well. There are big advantages over using them in place of pop rivets, mainly the lower profile like original and the holding power.

look at the photo of the ash tray after re-assembly this is the clinch you should expect..

One thing with the grilles is pop rivets have a high profile and the rivet will likely interfere with the center grates as shown in the circled photo. (Courtesy BB-Dave)

I do not remember what length the ones used on the grilles were. I bought multiple lengths for all the pieces worked on From 3/16 to 3/8 so I had a variety handy. Grille, Ashtray, Fresh air doors, 2 speed wiper motor (uses 3 different lengths) and heater box.

If you were anywhere close I would be more than happy to let you borrow it and all the rivets you need as they came in packs of 100.

Attachments

• IMGP2143.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0466edit.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Scan_Doc0034.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 383
http://tubularrivetclincher.yolasite.com/online-store.php

http://rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/semi-tubular-rivets.html

These are pretty inexpensive and work very well. There are big advantages over using them in place of pop rivets, mainly the lower profile like original and the holding power.

look at the photo of the ash tray after re-assembly this is the clinch you should expect..

One thing with the grilles is pop rivets have a high profile and the rivet will likely interfere with the center grates as shown in the circled photo. (Courtesy BB-Dave)

I do not remember what length the ones used on the grilles were. I bought multiple lengths for all the pieces worked on From 3/16 to 3/8 so I had a variety handy. Grille, Ashtray, Fresh air doors, 2 speed wiper motor (uses 3 different lengths) and heater box.

If you were anywhere close I would be more than happy to let you borrow it and all the rivets you need as they came in packs of 100.

Thanks very much!! I've changed my mind and will use these instead of pop rivets. Sounds a lot better. Not sure if I can find the tool in Canada or not, but will have a look on Google.
Jim

Thanks very much!! I've changed my mind and will use these instead of pop rivets. Sounds a lot better. Not sure if I can find the tool in Canada or not, but will have a look on Google.
Jim

Not sure what your level of resto/renew is , but if you want the best results you know what you need. You will see the "not so blind rivets" through the center grates when using them and may have to bend a vane for clearance. The correct rivets installed in the correct direction (outside to inside) will not be noticeable.

I feel like the tool payed for itself on the first grille! Obviosly to remove the original inner trim you had to drill the rivets cause they were still fully intact!! My point is just that!

All the Best getting finished!

Please post back on how your inner trim came out! The clear I used turned out a tad foggy for what I hoped!

So any feedback from PG?
Which one is repop and which is original in pics?
Following along here to see grill progress.
Thanks for posting!

Steve I doubt they care!

Short of seat foam their products are hit and miss as the quality varies drastically.

tubularrivetclincher.com

semitubular rivets, semi-tub rivets, steel semitubular rivets, aluminum semitubular rivets, brass semitubular rivets, stainless steel semitubular rivets

I ordered the tool and rivets. Got the rivets in a week, but 3 weeks later - no tool. I was able to contact the tool seller initially and ordered the tool and a die set OK. The tool seller - Bryan - said he would provide the tracking number but never did. He hasn't replied to e-mails, I've left several phone messages which are never returned. Now his voice mailbox is full, so he obviously isn't listening to his messages. I found a phone number for a person who used to look after his orders and she said she will talk to him and have him phone me - which didnt happen.
Called her today and told her to pass onto this Bryan guy that it is obvious he has not shipped the order and to cancel it and credit my CC. Now I have to start over and find a tool and dies so I can assemble this grille. Plus I expect a hassle to get the credit. Mumble, mumble, mumble

The message is - do NOT buy anything from this guy at tubularrivetclincher.com

The good thing is you tried to purchase it with a cc. If he dowsnt reply promptly then a quick phone call to the cc company will take care of it

I ordered the tool and rivets. Got the rivets in a week, but 3 weeks later - no tool. I was able to contact the tool seller initially and ordered the tool and a die set OK. The tool seller - Bryan - said he would provide the tracking number but never did. He hasn't replied to e-mails, I've left several phone messages which are never returned. Now his voice mailbox is full, so he obviously isn't listening to his messages. I found a phone number for a person who used to look after his orders and she said she will talk to him and have him phone me - which didnt happen.
Called her today and told her to pass onto this Bryan guy that it is obvious he has not shipped the order and to cancel it and credit my CC. Now I have to start over and find a tool and dies so I can assemble this grille. Plus I expect a hassle to get the credit. Mumble, mumble, mumble

The message is - do NOT buy anything from this guy at tubularrivetclincher.com

If you fail to get the tool, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out to borrow mine.

Thanks Gerald

I've ordered a set of dies from Hanson Rivet. I'll take a crack at making my own tool. If that doesn't work, I'll be in touch

Thanks again
Jim

I bought new repro trim for the grilles from PG Classics,
{3309-STSET Mopar 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Grille Screen Trim} but no way do they fit correctly. They are not bent correctly in the corners and after trying to tweek them every which way - there is no way they would fit like the originals.

So I went back to the originals. They are anodized, so I first had to strip the anodizing before I can sand and polish them and then clear coat. That will take many hours of work, but in the end, they will fit exactly back in the frames.
SO - based on my experience - DO NOT BUY THESE REPRO GRILLE TRIMS for your Cuda!!!!

View attachment 1714890289

View attachment 1714890290
Thanks. I was considering the repops.

You think the PG inner Grille pieces are bad, the outside Chrome pieces are even WORSE.
You can forget trying to mate them to stock plastic. I seriously don' t know WHY they keep selling these.
Everyone that I know has returned them...for credit.

The only pieces re-popped worth buying are the plastic housings and mesh inserts! Even then you will have to work at them to get the fit good. It is better to find half decent original pieces and Repair them! You will spend less time and money fixing decent originals then making the aftermarket pieces fit!

Naw, dont tell them that!!! The Plastic is just as bad as the Chrome Frame Bezels.
Go with the OEM on all 69 Cuda Grille Parts, it'll take longer, but is considerably better in the long run.

69-CUDA-GRIL4.jpg

69-CUDA-GRIL1.jpg

Those look really nice but where is the black on the mesh for "s" cars?

Just the leading edge should be natural. Maybe the pic does not show it?

Nice job!

Last edited:
My find for my 69 Barracuda Vert. at Carlisle for $200.00. Originals. I very happy with them. I also did not want to take a chance on the repops.

DSCN7264.JPG

Cant wait til next year's show. I will MOVE MOUNTAINS to go to this venue from now on. That sez alot since I live in Florida.

-
Back