69 barracuda wiring questions

-

Quikitty

Reaction score
I have a 69 barracuda that I’m finishing up the restoration on. I bought the car in pieces so I don’t have photos of how all the wiring was originally. I did buy a wiring diagram but it does not match exactly what I have in the car. Can anybody help me with identifying these connections. The first is coming off the transmission, four-speed. It’s for the back up switch which is connected at the transmission and this and is supposed to connect to the wiring harness but I cannot find the connector for it from the wiring harness. Am I missing something?
1B879096-66B7-46AC-A544-BAF920DE1E11.jpeg

next photo is of a tan wire coming out of the wiring harness near the distributor. I know the bluish wire goes to the distributor to the positive terminal, but I don’t know where the stand was supposed to go.
069EFD36-D18A-42F3-A649-629F5C620AE7.jpeg

third question is these two black wires coming off of the wiring harness with a bullet female type fitting. I have no clue where these go. Any help would be appreciated
A3E364C8-98A9-4DD4-95B7-77B03E265DAA.jpeg

#2. Oil sender?
#1. Look again at your wiring diagram, does your Cuda have an under dash reverse lamp? That will go up thru the firewall bulkhead connector, seems like the harness coming from the reverse switch at trans and the wiper motor harness wiper motor ballast all come together at the firewall bulkhead area. Sorry, my back is out or I would go out to the shop and get you straight. Someone else will jump in.

Reverse light wiring does not come from main loom. These wires (two purple) come from the wiper motor connector. That plug-in will have wiper wires and reverse light.

Doubt whatever diagram you bought was a factory one. Those are in the shop manual.
Both the shop manual and the assembly drawings will be very helpful for what you are doing.
One of our FABO members has made a layered pdf version from the 1969 shop manual. Do a search 1969 Factory wiring pdf and you should be able to find it.
There is only one source for the assembly drawings, and that is the reduced versions in the book sold be Faxon. Discussed here Resto manual

Reverse light wiring for '69 is different than '67, and '68.
The way I'm reading the wiring diagram, for a 4 speed with console, cavities C and Z are connected on the bulkhead. Without console, wire B2 connects between cavity C to the switch, and wire B1 to cavity D.

Maybe tonight I can spend more time on it, but that should get you started.

Here are a couple of pictures. Your actual trans harness does plug into the top of the wiper harness, one wire of that goes down to that z port? and from the interior side goes to the under the dash lamp.
Study the Factory Service Manual elect diagram.

20210307_154734.jpg

20210307_155404.jpg

20210307_160101.jpg

3. image - 2 female connectors should connect to the hood wiring for the hood turn signals.

Oil sender wire is gray. I think the tan wire is from ballast resistor to positive side of OEM coil.

#11, not with that wire end, there is a plug right there in the picture where the oil pressure sending unit goes..
#1, part of the harness from trans sending unit, the spade plugs into a blank space in firewall main bulkhead, and the underdash reverse lamp to that. The short two wire that plugs into the top of the wiper harness is missing.

#11, not with that wire end, there is a plug right there in the picture where the oil pressure sending unit goes..
#1, part of the harness from trans sending unit, the spade plugs into a blank space in firewall main bulkhead, and the underdash reverse lamp to that. The short two wire that plugs into the top of the wiper harness is missing.
Your right. Tan wire doesn't have the correct terminal to go to coil. It doesn't have the correct terminal for oil pressure sender either. Oil sender wire is gray in every model schematic I've looked at be it to a gauge or warning lamp. Good luck to all

That old wire might not be grey anymore, it's the oil pressure sender.

That old wire might not be grey anymore, it's the oil pressure sender.
After looking closer ( its not a good view of the terminal ) it does look a bit like the terminal for oil pressure sender. Should look much like a female spade connector. Slips over a button like contact atop that sender.

Heres pics of pdf wiring a member here did. Hope this helps. If you pm me email address I can email to you.

20210308_094337.jpg

20210308_095015.jpg

20210308_094903.jpg

20210308_094350.jpg

Some tips here.
Clean this and any other ones that look like this with some Deoxit 5 (5%) and cloth or very fine abrasive.
Clean and snug contacts will go a long way toward making the electical system trouble free.
There are also several threads on cleaning terminals if you're curious about other methods.
upload_2021-3-8_11-50-55.png

off topic but a possible critical. Make sure this is a proper fitting 'cause it looks like a blue anodized aluminum AN fitting. Should be steel for a double flare.

upload_2021-3-8_11-53-19.png

Here's some snips from the assy manual for purposes of discussion.
E Series is 1969
upload_2021-3-8_12-11-53.png

Dark blue from regulator connector (ign terminal) to coil +.
upload_2021-3-8_12-14-38.png

Oil sender wire should be gray but may be dirty or discolored.

upload_2021-3-8_12-17-39.png

Below is the sketch of the connector for '69 with 4 speed. Details of the connector depend on which wiper motor is used. It probably makes sense when you have the real thing in front of you which I do not. Compare with what Cruze posted.
upload_2021-3-8_12-25-5.png

Now I know why the trans harness is so long. I routed mine up the drivers side instead of the pass side. Still works, but will reroute it sometime.

-
Back