'69 'Cuda Hood Scoops

-

69 M-CODE CUDA

Reaction score
I've been restoring my '69 M code Cuda and was just wondering about something on the car. It has 'functional' hood scoops! The small 'Cuda hood scoops on this car are open in the front, rather than closed off, and there are rectangular holes cut in the hood accordingly. Inside the hood, originally there were some crappy looking 'ducts' that pointed the air toward the engine.

I bought this car from my brother in 1973, so I'm the third owner. My brother didn't cut holes in the hood or the scoops, and I sincerely doubt that the original owner did either, although I don't know who that was or whether he did that or not. I just kind of doubt that someone would start hacking up a brand new car. He did put a small trailer hitch on it, though!

During the first restoration, in the late 70's, I removed the ugly ducts inside the hood (wish I still had them, but I imagine they got tossed) and my brother who was a tinner at the time made some nicer looking ducts to fit the rectangular holes in the hood.

Has anyone heard of these scoops being open? Every Mopar expert I've talked to said that they were all closed off.

My car has a couple of other rarities, such as the Slickback vinyl top and factory hood pins, so maybe the boys at Chrysler were feeling experimental one day when they cut holes in the hood? I've always wondered about those scoops, especially after looking for others that were open for the last 47 years, and not finding any!

81.jpg

6.jpg

Yes, too bad you scrapped the ducts and already modified the hood more so we will never know. I have owned several M-Code Cuda's and seen many more, none ever had functioning scoops opened up like yours. If you are not the original owner and can't talk to them then the point it moot, No reason someone could not have modified them the next day like a lot of cars were in other ways the second they got home...

I've been restoring my '69 M code Cuda and was just wondering about something on the car. It has 'functional' hood scoops! The small 'Cuda hood scoops on this car are open in the front, rather than closed off, and there are rectangular holes cut in the hood accordingly. Inside the hood, originally there were some crappy looking 'ducts' that pointed the air toward the engine.

I bought this car from my brother in 1973, so I'm the third owner. My brother didn't cut holes in the hood or the scoops, and I sincerely doubt that the original owner did either, although I don't know who that was or whether he did that or not. I just kind of doubt that someone would start hacking up a brand new car. He did put a small trailer hitch on it, though!

During the first restoration, in the late 70's, I removed the ugly ducts inside the hood (wish I still had them, but I imagine they got tossed) and my brother who was a tinner at the time made some nicer looking ducts to fit the rectangular holes in the hood.

Has anyone heard of these scoops being open? Every Mopar expert I've talked to said that they were all closed off.

My car has a couple of other rarities, such as the Slickback vinyl top and factory hood pins, so maybe the boys at Chrysler were feeling experimental one day when they cut holes in the hood? I've always wondered about those scoops, especially after looking for others that were open for the last 47 years, and not finding any!

View attachment 1715565090

View attachment 1715565091
There is an old Chrysler/Plymouth advertisement that describes the hood scoops on the 'cuda package cars being closed off but states that to make them functional you have to obviously cut them and the hood open. No kits were sold to accommodate that, and by the looks of those scoops someone other than the factory did it. Hood pins I don't believe were an option on those cars. This is a picture of my brand new '69 A56 cuda in 1970 with hood pins from my buddies '70 440 six pack cuda. He removed them and gave them to me, because he installed key lock pins to keep nosy people out

IMG_4110 (2).JPG

Last edited:
i also have a 69 M-Code Cuda that i'm currently working on. i have a set of OEM hood scoops and they are one piece solid cast pieces with no cut out. however, i am going to buy a set of repo hood scoops and cut them out and install a "ram air" system as i'm putting a 6 pack on the 440. the hood scoops you have were only offered 1 year - 1969 on the "Cuda" option package of the 69 Barracudas. as to hood pins, no, never available from the factory on the second gen Barracudas 67-69. in 1969, hood pins only came on the A12 Road Runner and 6 pack Dodge Super Bee both with the lift-off fiberglass hood. in 1970, hood pins were available on the newly redesigned Cudas.

I believe the number was eight and it was a company called AutoCraft in Wisconsin

I believe the number was eight and it was a company called AutoCraft in Wisconsin
Well, the company had nothing to do with Plymouth or the Chrysler Division like Shelby did with Ford. Not the same no way, no how, and you can give your business a name and have maybe 3 people involved and put parts on a car but there are no brochures from Chrysler anywhere that you could buy a car like that. The cars were maybe '69 Formula S Barracuda's 340 and 383's. The 440 was not an M code that they butchered, but rather a 440 shoved into a 340 or 383 car.

i also have a 69 M-Code Cuda that i'm currently working on. i have a set of OEM hood scoops and they are one piece solid cast pieces with no cut out. however, i am going to buy a set of repo hood scoops and cut them out and install a "ram air" system as i'm putting a 6 pack on the 440. the hood scoops you have were only offered 1 year - 1969 on the "Cuda" option package of the 69 Barracudas. as to hood pins, no, never available from the factory on the second gen Barracudas 67-69. in 1969, hood pins only came on the A12 Road Runner and 6 pack Dodge Super Bee both with the lift-off fiberglass hood. in 1970, hood pins were available on the newly redesigned Cudas.
The scoops were also offered on Dusters. I believe 1973 Duster twister had the scoops.

-
Back