69 Dart Custom tire issue

-

69Dart Custom

Reaction score
Welp..I can now testify that 245/60r15's on Crager 4" back set wheels will not fit without mods. Maybe 4 1/2" BS would work, but 5 on 4 wheels...not so many options. I have almost 3/4" to the leaf spring and good clearances everywhere with the exception of the outter fender. The fender sits on the sidewall.
I like the width, wheels, etc. My easy options as I see them are raise the *** a bit, which I like if not over done. And either roll the fender or cut the lip. I am ready for the paint booth, so not excited about either, but cutting seems cleaner with less chance to screw the fender up.
I'd be interested in some opinions from the group. This pic shows the raised stance I am thinkin about.

20200902_153434_HDR.jpg

15990862586515078516123122418933.jpg

Remember that there is lateral movement as well as up and down.

I would not cut or roll over anything to fit the tire. I would replace wheel / tire. If you have inside room to the spring, then as you pointed out, more back spacing (BS) is the solution. If you can't get the specific BS get one that is too much and shim it outward. But with only 3/4" to the spring, I think narrower tire wheel is your only option

Are they 8 inch wheels? 4 1/2 back space with a 1/4 inch spacer. gives a 4 1/4 back space. 4 1/2 BS on an 8 inch wheel is a centered wheel. An 8 inch wheel measures 9 inch outside to outside. So a 4 inch BS leaves 5 inch outside

4 1/4 back space fit on the inside with 8 inch wheels. What I found is a 7 inch wheel gives more tire bulge then an 8 inch. The wider wheel sometimes works better.

Years ago I had swingers . 7 inch wheel with 3 1/2 BS would rub the quarter with G 60's . An 8 inch wheel with a 4 1/2 BS same tire G 60 didn't rub the quarters but I had to move the rear clamp on the leaf spring.

These are very old pictures both these cars had 8 inch 4 1/2 BS wheels . I have pictures of several more early swingers and GT's I had and I used these wheels on several. Of course we always lifted them back then. Late 70's early 80's. Darts are narrower then the Duster and Demons. That is why I always liked the Dusters and Demons. Barracudas are also narrow . 8 inch wheel with 4 1/2 BS is the widest you'll get on and still have to roll the lip a little and get very close to the leafs. Pics of some of my old cars with these wheels from back in the day.
058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

013.jpg

050.jpg

021.jpg

Last edited:
Remember that there is lateral movement as well as up and down.

I would not cut or roll over anything to fit the tire. I would replace wheel / tire. If you have inside room to the spring, then as you pointed out, more back spacing (BS) is the solution. If you can't get the specific BS get one that is too much and shim it outward. But with only 3/4" to the spring, I think narrower tire wheel is your only option

Thank you gentlemen. Really appreciate the advice and helping me think through making a drastic move. I went to 225's and they are ok. Still going to raise the back end with new springs. But I'm pretty sure still would have had issues with 245's. I've gone down so many rabbit holes on this project that I'm not willing to change out the rear axle to get a different bolt pattern which would open up a plethora of wheel options. It's time to say good enough and get some paint on this thing

20200905_144324.jpg

If you don't tuck it in, you can hardly corner without the inside tire getting shredded. Do what I did; move the springs and narrow the rear, then you can put a buncha tire in there. And you can haul a family of gorillas, er I mean all your friends.

You can also have your rear axles re bolt patterned to the 4 1/2" . Any machine shop can do it. Thats what my car has.
15x8 wheel, 4 1/2" backspace , 255x60x15 rear tires. '69 Dart. I had the large 4 1/2 pattern on the fronts, newer DART, '73?
You have choices.

You can also have your rear axles re bolt patterned to the 4 1/2" . Any machine shop can do it. Thats what my car has.
15x8 wheel, 4 1/2" backspace , 255x60x15 rear tires. '69 Dart. I had the large 4 1/2 pattern on the fronts, newer DART, '73?
You have choices.
Yes...I did consider that breifly. I've thought about every option imaginable...but as I am passing the 2nd year and over 30K dumped into this so far, at some point I gotta say....good enough. So I'm playin my cards I have now and gettin it back on the road. This forum has been tons of help! Thx

In the same boat. Spent as much and got to drive it twice last year.

IMG_0075.JPG

Wheel Vintiques 15x8 with 4 1/2 BS with 245s 72 swinger. Had a wee bit of room inside 3/4" maybe. Had to roll the fender lip up outa the way.

Thank you gentlemen. Really appreciate the advice and helping me think through making a drastic move. I went to 225's and they are ok. Still going to raise the back end with new springs. But I'm pretty sure still would have had issues with 245's. I've gone down so many rabbit holes on this project that I'm not willing to change out the rear axle to get a different bolt pattern which would open up a plethora of wheel options. It's time to say good enough and get some paint on this thing

View attachment 1715591578
This pic w/225's? I like the stance you have right there . I'm with same contemplations right now . '69 Dart .
Appreciation for your thread.

You need 7" wide wheels. The 8's are too wide for those cars without some modification. I have 255-60/15's on 7" wide with 4.25" backspace. A tight fit but with stiff springs, no rubbing.

052.JPG

20160518_170052.jpg

That's why every time I'm asked, I'll tell you 225-60/15 is the biggest tire I can recommend on a Dart like that, and even then you need the perfect wheel. I had 245s and 235s and they both rubbed or hit someplace. Unless you want to relocate springs, cut or roll sheetmetal, or jack it up sky-high.

You need 7" wide wheels. The 8's are too wide for those cars without some modification. I have 255-60/15's on 7" wide with 4.25" backspace. A tight fit but with stiff springs, no rubbing.

View attachment 1715617993

View attachment 1715617995
===========================================================
Very nice car ToolmanMike , I have always liked the look of your car.
I really dont see why more guys and gals dont follow your ideal set up. 14 on the front and 15 x 7 on the rear 245 or 255-60-15 on the rear. It looks great and works.

Frank

garage.jpg

-
Back