69 Dart exhaust tip and hanger questions

-

toypar

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to install dual exhaust on my 69 dart. It originally had a slant six and now has a 340.
I ordered 2.5 inch stainless tips and hangers from classic industries. The hangers I received have the slot in the rubber for the tip, and that slot doesn’t go all the way through. Hangers look identical, meaning one would bolt to the frame and extend under it while the other side would extend away from the frame. Should both hangers extended under the frame rails or is one offset?

Should the L bracket on the tip punch all the way through the rubber and bottom out on the L bracket or be captured in the rubber and not protrude through?
If that’s the case then there isn’t a left and right hanger. If the L bracket on the tip is supposed to be captured in the rubber and not protrude through, then I need to disassemble one hanger and flip the rubber.
I’ve seen pictures of it done both ways, and pictures of a left and right hanger and pictures of both hangers looking identical depending on who’s site you look at.
How did they do it from the factory?

Factory parts the hanger goes all the way through the rubber. On repo parts it’s unknown

TTI hangers had the slots going all the way through like the factory hangers did. The factory hangers were not left or right specific. Simply turned them around to fit either side, so that the hanger "body" was under the frame rail which gave it added support. The TTI's I have are modeled after the factory style hanger, only much more robust. Not sure of the other options that are out there.

IMG_2633.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg
These photos show the tip hanger location. The holes are in the frame. Mine is a 68. Hope this helps .

IMG_2634.jpg

The last photo fishing the bolt thru the frame use a internal tooth washer so you can tighten the nut and the bolt won't spin.

My 69 Dart had a square slot to the rear a few inches from where you show your hanger mounted. That slot had a 'clip" that is sorta like a fender clip with the threads made into the clip to thread the mounting bolt into to hold it in place. But I use the factory exhaust tips and that's how the factory did it. You're using non exhaust tip style tailpipes. But those should work okay.

When I posted last night I didn't have the hangers in my hand, just observations from early when I glanced at them. Looks like the rubber is molded with the slot on one side and you just have to punch the backside of the rubber out. I will get some correct mounting hardware and just bottom the L bracket out in the hanger and see if the tips look correct for placement. I am installing Pypes exhaust and will post some pictures on how it fits. Tailpipes are my biggest worry.

Yes.I did not install chrome tips. My 68 has the TTI exhaust. Placement of OE style hangers is sometimes farther back in the square/round cutout in the frame rail. If you wanted tips, TTI instructions show to trim the tail pipes to fit . Only wanted to show how they were mounted.This photo shows how to adjust the hanger/pipe to level the 2 pipes even.Most frames of that vintage had several tail pipe mounting locations.
IMG_2641.jpg

Mines a 71 swinger with stock chrome tips.
the square further back is the stock location. It takes a threaded clip thingy . the stock mount can be put on backwards. It can be mounted under the frame rail or inboard

-
Back