69 Dart rear drum brake questions / help ??

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
Trying to change out the rear drum pads and maybe get new rotors. I am having a terrible time trying to find the self adjusting lever so I can take the pressure off the drums so I can get them off the car. Is there any tricks that anyone knows or special tools I should have to get this job done? I can see the star wheel and can turn it tighter but that isn't going to get the drum off. I'm currently working on the drivers side, should I be trying to hook the adjusting lever through the front slot or the rear? Next question, I can see the adjuster screw but should I be fishing for the adjuster above the the screw or below it? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rich

The adjusting paw sits at the bottom of the star wheel on the outer ( drum ) side and lifts up to tighten. You need to turn from the bottom up on the back side. I have used 2 tools many times. One pushing the paw away from the star wheel while the other does the turning.

Big Richie O!
Redfish has it dead on balls, you need to shine a light in there so ya can see what you're doing. Push the adjusting lever away from the starwheel, and use a flat head screwdriver to back the adjustment down.
Good Luck!!

George

I finally got my rear drums off, with much effort and patience. As I suspected they are pretty groved up. I took them to the part store and asked them if they could be turned and they said no. So my next question is where are you guys getting new 10 x 1 3/4 rear drums? I was able to buy the shoes but nobody seems to have the drums. Also if anyone has a good picture of the pads, springs and the other part assembled that would be very helpful.

Thanks

I got my brakes all back together. I really think the last time I had them appart I must have done something wrong. The e-brake seems to work much better than it did before, and before if I would pump the brakes it seemed like they would stick and not release right away. Here is a picture that I got of a front brake assembly incase anyone else needs it when they're putting their brakes together. The picture is of the passenger side front.

passfrontbrake.jpg

mopar_logo_new1.jpg

-
Back