69 valiant carburetor 1920 Holley

-

sketch

Reaction score
currently has a 1920 holley on it. It keeps stalling out when i stop. I have the float bulb as low as i can set it. Does anyone have a recommendation besides continuing to rebuild the carb. It's like the gas sloshes forward when i stop and it is calling a stall. Thanks for any input

Why did you set it as low as can go?

If its because someone told you to. Stop. Go read or watch Chrysler Master Tech linked to in the other thread.

If its for another reason, then go ahead tell us what was going on.

Why did you set it as low as can go?

If its because someone told you to. Stop. Go read or watch Chrysler Master Tech linked to in the other thread.

If its for another reason, then go ahead tell us what was going on.
I am still trying to figure out the whole forum thing. Can you direct me there.

Yeah. Put a Carter on it. The Holleys suck.

Click on the blue links.

Download the service manual for your car.

The Master tech Carburetor fundamentals is well worth the time no matter what carb you aer using. They all work the same. (well not all, but all that will be encountered on these cars). You can download as individual pages if you don't want to read on-line.

Service manual will you help alot.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
Originals are available used and reprints are sold by various companies. Bishko is one.

A lot of very good information is in Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics
1966 222 and 1970 273 are two on how carburetors work.

Others get into specific mechanical adjsutments.
If some of the info is complicated then come back to it.

The 1969 master techs are also in The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1965 - 1969)
which has lots of factory and dealer info. Some of which you and your son may also find interesting.

When it comes to making adjustments, and tune up, you will need a timing light and a tachometer.
You might find a light and tach/dwell for nothing or next to nothing because its been collecting dust in someone's basement for the last 20 years.
But regardless you need both.

Before making any adjustment see if the carb and distributor have been changed, and if so, are they the exact version for 1969.
The factory distributor and carbs for 1968, 69, 70 etc need to work together for the factory settings to make sense.
If one or both have been changed, then might have to use pre-CAP settings. Right now assuming the car has its original carb and dist

When it comes to making adjustments, and tune up, you will need a timing light and a tachometer.
You might find a light and tach/dwell for nothing or next to nothing because its been collecting dust in someone's basement for the last 20 years.
But regardless you need both.

Before making any adjustment see if the carb and distributor have been changed, and if so, are they the exact version for 1969.
The factory distributor and carbs for 1968, 69, 70 etc need to work together for the factory settings to make sense.
If one or both have been changed, then might have to use pre-CAP settings. Right now assuming the car has its original carb and dist
carb is new. i have a new dist but not put on yet. i think i will be doing some reading here. And getting a timing light.

-
Back