6Al2 Box 12v Keyed source

-

MagnumBarracuda

Reaction score
I am trying to wire a 6 AL box into my 67 barracuda. I tried to wire it to an open fuse, like a tachometer, but those 12v sources turn off when cranking. I know everything works because i wired the small red wire directly to the battery to test it. Does anyone know of a keyed 12v source that hold 10-12 volts while cranking and running? 1967 Barracuda, 6AL2 box, MSD billet distributor, 4 speed manual. Thanks

Easy. And it's been covered here a zillion times. You have ONLY ONE source of power for "run" in the ignition bay AND THAT GOES DEAD during cranking That is the (normally dark blue) IGN1 "run" wire

That is "made up" by the bypass / brown / IGN2 circuit which went originally to the coil+ side of the ballast This is hot during cranking and it's job is to send hot "full battery" voltage to the coil during "start"

So to run a system without a ballast resistor, you must jumper the IGN1 and IGN2 together and use that junction as your source

You can actually use the old coil+ wire to feed the "small red" which acts like a relay/ trigger wire. Jumper around the old ballast and away you go

CAVEAT. MSD is completely different than older ignition. Make CERTAIN there is NOTHING attached to the coil, NOTHING AT ALL except for the two wires from the MSD box. No radio cap, and no tach wire.

Easy. And it's been covered here a zillion times. You have ONLY ONE source of power for "run" in the ignition bay AND THAT GOES DEAD during cranking That is the (normally dark blue) IGN1 "run" wire

That is "made up" by the bypass / brown / IGN2 circuit which went originally to the coil+ side of the ballast This is hot during cranking and it's job is to send hot "full battery" voltage to the coil during "start"

So to run a system without a ballast resistor, you must jumper the IGN1 and IGN2 together and use that junction as your source

You can actually use the old coil+ wire to feed the "small red" which acts like a relay/ trigger wire. Jumper around the old ballast and away you go

CAVEAT. MSD is completely different than older ignition. Make CERTAIN there is NOTHING attached to the coil, NOTHING AT ALL except for the two wires from the MSD box. No radio cap, and no tach wire.

Nothing under the dash?

Looking at the photo below...the Blue wire and Brown wire coming out the ignition switch are Run 1 and Run 2........splice into them and connect together and run the small red wire from msd

71DartIgnitionWiring.jpg

They are right there. See the brown on the resistor? That is the brown bypass circuit. The two blue ones on the right are the "IGN1" and should be already jumpered together. You have complicated this by using that whatever it is---aftermarket. That is an updated/ aftermarket harness, and was not stock in 67

Pull everything off the ballast. Disconnect the battery ground. Using an ohmeter, the two blue on the far right in the photo should show zero ohms. They are the same wire. Jumper either of those blue to the one on the other end with the brown

As I said earlier you can use the coil+ wire now used to feed the small red. Jumpering those connections should convert the coil+ to full battery voltage both in start and run

The simplest way is to remove the wire from the positive terminal on the coil and connect it to the thin red MSD wire.
Insulate this junction or use connectors to be sure it never touches ground.

Or connect the MSD thin red wire to a piggyback terminal on the ballast resistor.
But the mopar coil positive wire still must be removed and the ring terminal insulated from ground.

This is from an MSD 6 when Autotronics still made them.
upload_2019-8-5_9-29-53-png.png

back then the MSD 6 would come with plastic insulated terminal strips. And jumpers so one could quickly return to points or original ECU.
upload_2019-8-5_9-35-25-png.png

Marked up to show MSD used with Chrysler ECU wiring.
upload_2020-6-5_17-9-46.png

-
Back