7 1/4 question!! - axles?

-

moper

Reaction score
Ok, so I have my '65 I'm playing with. It popped a brake line pulling out of the storage spot I had it in. So that has evolved into an axle swap. I'm going from the 2.76 or whatever desert gear ratio it was to a 3.23 assembly. Both 7 1/4s. In typical Dave fasion I'm doing axle seals and bearings, brakes, painting/detailing, etc. So... I don't do a lot of 7 1/4 work that doesnt involve pulling them out and tossing them. The problem is I'm having some real isseus getting the axles out of it! I did get the pass side out. The driver's side has made a victim of my (arguably small)slide hammer. I've tried mild heat on the tube and flange. Big hammers, little hammers, slide hammer, big hammer hitting slide hammer (that's what bent/broke it...lol) I can't get it to budge, and this is the side that was actually leaking!!
Anyone know any tricks? I'm starting to consider following the internet directions to make C4... I just want the damn axle apart...lol.
Thanks!

Shaft should come straight out after removing backing plate bolts. Try tapping them through the holes. BFH on the backing plate (if you have a spare) should get things moving.

3.23 gears were stock in 65 for /6, are you sure it's 2.76? Also bear in mind that 9" drum axles were wider than 10".

Hmmm my book has 83 and later 7.25 as C-clip... 71 to 82 retainer as an 8.75.

So I may be wrong as my book does not have 7.25's before 71... I tried sorry I dont have an answer so please disregard my previous post.

The bearing retainer holds the axel in like a 8 3/4,no C-clips like 8 1/4.This is from my 66 Dodge/Plymouth manual.I,ve damaged axels from a 8 3/4 getting them out.I finally got them out and tossed them very far LOL(replaced with Mosers).Good luck Moper.

You might try putting the brake drum on backwards and thread the lug nuts on a little ways.
You can use the drum as a slide hammer, this way it puts even pressure on all studs.

I removed my 7 1/4 axles not long ago and all I did was remove the brake wheel cylinder and the 4 nuts that holds it in, No C clips and I did not even open my rear end cover.. These have a sealed bearing and a race
It was very hard for me to remove the axle and used a steering wheel puler to get it out.
Mine is a 66 Valiant 170 /6 with 3.23 gears, it was a bugger to get it out. 8-[

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 006.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Axle bearing change 008.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Axle bearing change 042.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Axle bearing change 043.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Axle bearing change 046.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Axle bearing change 047.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Axle bearing change 049.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Axle bearing change 067.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 134
I have the thing basically apart. No C clips. No apparent press into the diff side gears... It's just the outer race rusted to the ID of the casing flange. I've now got a 5lbs mongo slide hammer beating the tar out of it... I think it might have moved .030 if that...lol. I've got tennis elbow (from splitting wood all winter) and I'm not 100% so maybe it's just needing more persuasion. My info says /6 w 7 1/4 could be anything from 2.74 to 3.55. The one in the '65 I have not pulled the cover but counting was 2.76s or 2.74s. The '72 model out of my Demon (which was /6 with AC) is a 3.23. This car's been messed with before so my impression is it's got "an axle" in it...lol. not "THE axle" that came factory with it. So it's off to more beating on it...lol. I tried hammering on the backing plates as much as I feel is safe. No dice. One things for sure... It's getting new F'ing bearings!!!! I'm not doing this again...lol.
C130 - Thanks. I knew about the larger drums but they are both 9x2. The only "upgrade are the '72 drums are almost new and are finned. The factory ones oar not finned and wafer thin...

-
Back