7 1/4 to 8 1/4 swap

-

low_kota

Reaction score
Hey guys! I might be swapping the 7 1/4 in my 74 dart swinger /6 904 with an 8 1/4 BBP rear end. I can get it from either a 75 slant six duster with a 904 or a 76 slant 6 dart sport with a 4 speed. Would my current drive shaft work? Is there anything else I would need from the parts car to make the swap?

I haven't seen either parts car yet and don't know the gear ratios or if they are sure grip. Any advice would be appreciated!

take it from either cuz AFAIK,neither driveshaft will fit. Maybe take the one with the lowest mileage
Your Dart is a 110 wheelbase and the other two are 108s .
And the Short wb cars with 904/A833ODs both take about the same length and 7260-yoked driveshafts.
The standard A833 and 727 take the same 7290-yokes.
I think you will have to have your driveshaft cut to fit and balanced.
The Duster shaft will for sure be too short.
Check the driveshaft length of the Sport and compare it to yours. I think the difference in the pinion noses is around 1.6 inches, I'll go check. So if your D/S length is that amount different then MAYBE the Sport one will fit. Yes 1.6 is correct.
Hey I know; the 8.25 can be had with either 7260 or 7290 yokes;so if the driveshafts are unuseable,take unit that matches your driveshaft yokes.
If you have a 360 and fat tires; scrap that, you need the bigger U-joints both ends. I tried using the 7260 as a fuse,in the back, cuz I didn't want to run a D/S loop on my lowered car. Bad idea, I promptly twisted it off.Which led to 7290s both ends.
But I don't know of a 904 yoke with a 7290 joint
the yokes are about .5 inch different on their widths as well as cups about 1/8 inch different. Lemmee see if I have specs. A quick check says the small yoke is 2.125 BETWEEN the U-joint yoke-ears , and the 7290 is 2.625. These are inside measurements because that is where the U-joint retainer clips anchor to.AFAIK, they should all be the smaller ones on all slanty cars.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I think for simplicity's sake, take the rear, shock plates, and drive shaft from the 75 car...........straight bolt in with no hassles. Before installation, pull the cover, look at the ratio and discover if sure-grip or not, change the diff fluid

Good luck

-
Back