7.25 and 8.25 axle shaft interchange?

-

Hilton

Reaction score
I have a donor 8.25 rear that I will use to replace my 7.25. Problem is the donor 8.25 rear axles are pitted very badly on the bearing roller surface and will need replacing.
Question: are the 7.25 axle shafts compatible with the 8.25 rear. I don't see any visual, they are both 27 spline if I can deal with the bolt pattern if there is any difference there?

I have a donor 8.25 rear that I will use to replace my 7.25. Problem is the donor 8.25 rear axles are pitted very badly on the bearing roller surface and will need replacing.
Question: are the 7.25 axle shafts compatible with the 8.25 rear. I don't see any visual, they are both 27 spline if I can deal with the bolt pattern if there is any difference there?

Not compatible, but you can get repair bearings for the 8.25 that make the new bearing ride on a new surface of the axle.

I looked at those but I'm afraid the 8.25 axles are too bad. Looks like this one sat with no oil and plenty of moisture. There is not enough shaft surface left that is acceptable for the bearing and seal to run on to move the position anywhere.
What makes them incompatible, is it size , strength, length?

Okay, asking for help here on this rear. I have posted for used 8.25 27 spline axles, already have the housing, will buy new sure-grip, gear, and replace all the bearings. Cannot find any new, rebuilt, or used 8.25 27 spline axles. Soooo, since 29 spline are available, could I go with the 29 spline center and buy 29 spline axles? They are available if they are the correct length. What do you think?

Ok, have 8.25 27 spline axles in hand and planning a trip to the boneyard for parts to perform the Cherokee disc brake upgrade. Any particular models in the 80-90s while I am there to maybe locate an 8.25 posi 27 spline? suggestions?

Grab the master for yourself also that's the one you want. Love the brakes in mine. Hey also the e brake cables so you have a reference on the ends.

-
Back